Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.

I sometimes have a hard time swallowing food. By that, I ...

I sometimes have a hard time swallowing food. By that, I mean, when I swallow, the food gets stuck part way down my esophagus, just before it gets to my stomach. I have no trouble breathing, but nothing gets down when it happens. I try to dislodge it by drinking water. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't and my gag reflex forces the water back up and out my mouth. When that happens, I have to wait for about 1/2 hour to over an hour before attempting again. Waiting that long seems to work. My body relaxes and I then can attempt to swallow with water again, so far, always with success. What is this and is there anything I can do about it?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. D. Evans replied 9 years ago.
Since you are online, could you please give some more information:

What is your age and sex?

Does this occur only at times, and the rest of the time you have normal swallowing?

I am available online to help you further after I get this info.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Dr. D. Evans's Post: I am 41 years old, Male

It only occurs sometimes, maybe once every few months. I am aware of it and try to be careful not to let it happen, by drinking when I eat.

This would not be a serious condition like a tumor in your esophagus, since in that case you would have a constant and increasing difficulty in swallowing.

But it does appear like you have some esophageal motility problem. You need to get yourself checked up for this. You should approach a gastroenterologist. You will need tests like Endoscopy, Barium swallow XRay and Videofluoroscopy study of the swallowing process.

You should look up here for a somewhat academic article on dysphagia ( swallowing problems):

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below. Feedback/Bonus will be warmly appreciated.