Dr. Bonnie Lenzenhuber
Dr. Bonnie Lenzenhuber, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  I am a family medicine doctor, and also work in the emergency room
1048881

why was my large sking tag weeping

skin tag grew large and started growing bubbles of fluid on it. this happened rather quickly. i also am having hip pain in only my left side but i havent injured or strained it.   am also having thyroid problems.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Bonnie Lenzenhuber replied 7 years ago.
Hi, thank you for asking your question on JA. Your skin tag usually doesn't do anything unless it is cancerous. So if it were a cancerous growth would be a cause for anything such as leaking fluid, bleeding, oozing, etc. Your doctor really needs to send it off for a biopsy to let you know for sure and how to treat the area if it is. If you have further questions or need additional assistance, please don't hesitate to ask, Dr. Bonnie Lenzenhuber MD.
Dr. Bonnie Lenzenhuber, Doctor (MD)
Experience: I am a family medicine doctor, and also work in the emergency room
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my doctor looked at the tag and he said he was fairly certain it was benign. i dont have any insurance and cant afford the lab work right now. he says he will hold on to it just in case and if my removal site doesnt heal correctly he will send it in. is this a good course of action or am i going to get worse in the 6 weeks of waiting time?
Hi, really why skin tags ooze and/or leak any type of fluid wether it is bloody, clear, yellow, green, etc. means that it is cancerous. Your best action is to have it sent in for analysis and he will be able to tell for sure and depending on that he can treat the area further. Sometimes, depending on the type of cancerous cells, they have to go in and dig it out a little further or later down the road you may have additional problems. No you won't get worse in 6 weeks unless it doesn't heal and/or gets infection in it but they sometimes base further treatment on the results. Generally lab results for this kind of biopsy is between $30-$60. My advice is to have the biopsy done to be on the safe side of things and just in case something wouldn't go right he will have the results then instead of having to wait later, Dr. Bonnie Lenzenhuber MD.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you for being so understanding. i have talked to them about the cost ....$300.00
im glad to hear it may not get so bad so quickly. i will save up for the lab tests and tell him to send it in.
just the word cancer can be very scary. and i dont know enough about it.

No problem and you can ask any thing at any time and I will be happy to assist you. I am not sure what he is planning on sending in but the range I told you in the previous reply is generally what my patients are charged, but that is a good decision on your part to have him send it. If you have further questions or need additional assistance, please don't hesitate to ask, Dr. Bonnie Lenzenhuber MD.