Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD

Why did my knees turn brown and how do change them back

Over the course of the last two (?) years, the skin on my knees has turned dark brown. The exact same pattern on both knees - dark brown patches. I don't crawl on my knees at all, I scrub them in the shower, I am constantly putting lotion on them , but nothing seems to help. Why are my knees brown?

This knee hyperpigmentation can be caused by different factors like :

sun exposure

melanin hyperproduction ( melanin is a brown pigment, when cells hyperproduce melanin, these brown patches appear)

endocrine disorders (Addison's Disease)

and certain medicines

You can use , an over the counter fade cream, with glycolic acid or kojic acid. But not use these creams, more than 3 days per week.

If the problem persists, you will need to consult a dermatologist, to be appropriately evaluated and treated.

If you like my answer, click accept. A bonus will always be sincerely appreciated.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to ALVARO's Post: I have tried fade cream's and they do not work. And I am sure it isn't from sun exposure. What is Addison's Disease and its other symtoms?
Customer ,addison's disease is produced by an hypofunction, of the adrenal glands, that are situated over the kidneys, this hormone is very important ,to react to stress situations and maintain the balance of water and salt levels.

The more common symptoms are :

weight loss

muscle weakness

low blood pressure

dark or patchy skin