Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice
1725470

Why do I crave peppermint?

Customer Question

I crave the sharp taste of peppermints, i.e. Altoids.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 9 years ago.

Since when have you had this craving?

DO you have any dental problems or problems in smel?

Do you get regular periods?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply toCustomer MD's Post: I have always craved Peppermint. More now, I can eat a box of Altoids in 2 days.

No dwental problems or smell.

My periods are very regular. More now than when I was younger.

Craving for a certain type of food is believed to be due to a desire to satisfy oneself with oral stimulation. In psychological terms , it is called 'Oral Fixation'. It is said to be a part of a personality that feels deprived in some way and tries to overcome this deprivation by oral stimulation.

'Oral Fixation' is a part of Freud's personality theories - many of these theories are disputed now.

In your case, it is likely that you simply enjoy the taste of peppermints and feel a rush of 'feel-good' sensations when you take them. This then fuels the desire for more peppermints.

You can read more about Freud's theories here:

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_stage

I hope this helps.

I hope this helps.