Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.
1771736

My tongue feels like i burnt it. But its been like

Customer Question

My tongue feels like i burnt it. But its been like this for about 2 weeks. Usually if i burn it on something it goes away in a couple days. Could it be something else? It doesn't look any different just feels wierd and numb.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. D. Evans replied 9 years ago.
Since you are online, could you please give some more information:

Is the burning sensation there all the time?

Does it occur only with spicy and hot foods only?

Are you allergic to particular food types?

I am available online to help you further after I get this info.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Yes, the burning sensation is there all the time. I don't eat spicy or hot foods and I've never been allergic. If I rub against my teeth or top of my mouth it bother me more. it started out with my whole tongue feeling wierd now its just the tip. Could I have gotten something from kissing?

You may be having Glossitis, or inflammation of the tongue. It could result from various causes, such as infection (bacterial or viral), injuries, allergic reactions to foods, drugs, etc. and some systemic diseases like vitamin deficiency. Some precautions that you can try at home are: maintain good oral hygeine,rinse your mouth after every meal, use an antiseptic mouth wash like hexidine, avoid any new toothpaste, avoid sucking sweets, chewing gums, etc, avoid smoking and alcohol.
If the symptoms persist or there is severe pain, any swelling of the tongue or bleeding, then you should approach your doctor.

And i think it didnot happen by kissing.

You may try this link for more information:
http://www.umm.edu/ency/article/001053.htm

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
If I use mouth wash it burns like crazy. And I always brush my teeth and have good oral hygine.
Hi again, even if you are maintaining good oral hygiene, the burn can be due to various reasons like vitamin B deficiency like Riboflavin. So, i suggest that you take Vitamin B supplements.

Any positive feedback will be highly apreciated.Thanks.