Deborah
Deborah, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Registered NP - Multispeciality

stomach gurgling and gas now diarhea

right now yhe gurgling has stopped for now and i have not burped in awhile but i feel nausea at my throat that causes me to burp. i have been on nexium 40 mgs for 6 weeks that took care of the feeling at the throat from then to the last 3 days and it has come back along with the runs. the only thing different is i started taking metamusil about 6 days ago, the runs i have smell terrible what is this
Category: Health
Expert:  Deborah replied 7 years ago.

Metamusil can account for the amount of gas you have; however, as Metamusil absorbs water it is often prescribed for patients with diarrhea.

Unfortunately, healthy foods such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains and beans and peas are often the worst offenders. That's because these foods are high in fiber. Fiber has many health benefits, including keeping your digestive tract in good working order and regulating blood sugar and cholesterol levels. But it can also lead to the formation of gas. Fiber supplements containing psyllium, such as Metamucil, also may cause such problems, especially if added to your diet too quickly.

Perhaps you should take the Metamucil every other day to see if this helps. You might also consider taking it every third day and then slowly increase it to every other day until you are able to take it every day.

As you are taking Nexium, it is important to note that most patients begin to realize resolution in their symptoms about the six to eight week point of taking this medication. This is the point at which the medication reaches it's maximal benefit in your system.

Some patients find benefit from eating smaller meals and snacks across the course of the day as this reduces pressure on the lower esophageal sphincter, helping to prevent the valve from opening and acid from washing back into your esophagus. This may also be beneficial in curbing your stomach gurgling.

A consideration is that you may simply be experiencing diarrhea to a gastrointestinal upset caused by something you are or a virus. Besure to drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration. If the diarrhea persists, consult with your doctor.

Do you routinely experience bouts of cramping, compounded by alternating from diarrhea to constipation? If so, discuss IBS with your doctor. IBS Video

Click on the underlined links to learn more. Let me know what questions you may have. I will check back with you.

Intestinal Gas

Burping and Belching

Deborah, Nurse (RN)
Experience: Registered NP - Multispeciality
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the metamusil was because they thought i had ibs but it seems like this nausea symtoms came back after i started it . i drank 2 cans of 7 up today to try to burp the i got the runs.what about gall bladder does it give you the runs
Expert:  Deborah replied 7 years ago.

Diarrhea isn't a hallmark symptom of gallbladder disease, but indigestion is. It would be worthy for you to have a gallbladder series as a diagnostic tool.

Chronic indigestion. Signs and symptoms of indigestion may include nausea, gas, bloating and sometimes abdominal pain. These signs and symptoms may occur or be made worse after you eat high-fat foods. But even if you have gallstones, they often aren't the cause of your digestive problems. A number of other conditions - including gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and peptic ulcers of the stomach or duodenum - also can cause chronic indigestion. For that reason, it's important to discuss your symptoms carefully with your doctor.

Sudden, steady and moderate to intense pain in your upper middle or upper right abdomen. This may signal a gallbladder attack. The pain may occur one to two hours after eating but may also occur at other times - even at night. It can last from 15 to 30 minutes to several hours. Gallbladder pain starts in your upper middle or upper right abdomen and, on occasion, may shift to your back or right shoulder blade. After the pain subsides, you might have a mild aching or soreness in your upper abdomen that can last for up to a day or so. Gallbladder attacks tend to occur infrequently - weeks, months or even years apart.

Nausea and vomiting. These signs and symptoms may accompany a gallbladder attack.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks deb your trying to help a very sressfull thing for me.the gurgling stomach kind of happened one day bad after i had 3 cans of coke it was very loud. i think i passed gas and had a bowell movement and it let up. to be honest with you because i first had thenausea feeling at my throat no heartburn i wound up on nexiumm.yes the feeling in the throat went away but the gurgling still kept up but not as bad. i wonder after all this time if it has been ibs. it sure has all the symtoms and the gall bladder thing i just have never had the pain.i know the medimusil probably made me bloat. by the way i just ate and i don,t feel as bad.you know i,ve tried so many things and this ibs stuff keeps looking like what i have
Expert:  Deborah replied 7 years ago.

Most of us like soda, me included, but I have recently given it up and changed to drinking Lipton Citrus Green Tea and also SoBe Vitamin Water which I buy by the case at Costco. I try to drink plain water as much as possible, but sometimes you just need something else. My stomach feels a lot better as a result.

The carbonation of soda irritates the stomach. Soda is not recommended for those with IBS. It is is suggested that patients with IBS find help from when they drink six to eight glasses of plain water a day.

Adding yogurt to your diet may help ease symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome according to some research.

A variety of cultures can be used in making yogurt - some of which may have health benefits. These beneficial, or "good," bacteria (probiotics) are normally found in your large intestine. A few examples of good bacteria used in some yogurts are bifidobacteria and lactobacilli.

Some research has shown that probiotics can decrease gas, pain and bloating associated with irritable IBS. Certain priobiotics can also decrease the time it takes for food to move through the intestine, which may be helpful in people with constipation. In people with IBS who have diarrhea, probiotics may decrease the frequency of loose stools.

Dannon Activia

IBS

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
you really feel that ibs is my problem with the gurgling burping and so on
Expert:  Deborah replied 7 years ago.

I think it is the most likely cause. I would suggest that you review all info related to IBS and use all tips and info to your advantage on a trial basis. This may improve your symptoms.

Additionally, stomach gurgling and churning can be exacerbated by GERD, so it could be that both IBS and GERD are the culprits.

In some cases, where patients suffer from severe bouts of IBS, antidepressants are prescribed. The rationale of using antidepressants in IBS may relate to several factors, such as the effects of these agents on gut motility and pain sensation. Low-dose tricyclic antidepressants (e.g., amitriptyline, desipramine) have been shown to be efficacious in treating IBS, particularly in those with mainly diarrhea. They have multiple effects that can be beneficial in relieving abdominal pain and altering gut motility. Discuss this with your doctor.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
deborah i have really only had this bout with the runs and it seems to be over i just think for some reason its got something to do with the medimusil. also i have really never had any pain maybe slight discomfort in my stomach but the stomach noise has been my main issue. i mean its pops in there and tinny vibrations that i feel and sometimes loud ruff ones and there in all different spots.just agrivating but when this back of the throat nausea feeling came back it makes me not eat but it seems to be gas related because a burp clears it but yes it comes back.
Expert:  Deborah replied 7 years ago.

Metamucil might be contributing to this, especially if added too much to your diet too quickly. I would cutback and see how it goes.

Stomach noise is typically is due to normal digestion. Stomach growling can occur when you're hungry. But it can also occur after eating or between meals when food is passing through your intestines.

Hunger and appetite are controlled by a complex system of hormone-like substances primarily made by your digestive system. When you haven't eaten for a while, these substances are released and cause a part of your brain called the hypothalamus to "switch on" your desire to eat. A message is then sent to your stomach and intestines. This triggers muscle contractions and the release of acids and other digestive fluids - which causes the rumbling, grumbling sounds you hear - as your body prepares for you to eat. The thought, sight or smell of food also can trigger this response from your intestines.

Excessive stomach noise can be a symptom of an underlying gastrointestinal disorder such as irritable bowel syndrome especially when accompanied by other signs and symptoms such as bloating, cramping, diarrhea or excess gas.

Try eating the Dannon Activa, discontinue soda, decrease your Metamucil, eat small meals and snack continually during the day. Keeping something in your stomach can decrease the growling.