Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

what is the difference between staff infection and a boil

Customer Question

what is the difference between staff infection and a boil? i have a boil on the inside of my left leg, it is in the crease, and has spread up towards my hip. the head is located on the fatty part of my inner thigh approximatly the size of a quarter. can i get something over the counter . is this serious, or just painful.
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 9 years ago.

Staph is the name given to a group of bacteria which commonly cause skin infections when the skin is damaged. Staph can cause boils so treatment is warm compresses and antibiotic treatment.

It is painful and is not serious at the moment but if the infection is not completely cleared up, the risk is that the infection gets into the bloodstream.

Neosporin may help depending on the size of the boil but you may need oral antibiotics.

Regards