D. Baron, MD
D. Baron, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Physician with 27 years of experience.
4117028

I HAVE A BONE STICKING out ON THE OUT SIDE OF MY

Customer Question

I HAVE A BONE STICKING out ON THE OUT SIDE OF MY RIGHT foot it is not to painfall hurts a bit when I walk also on the top pf the same foot a bone this came up about a month ago.Thank you doris
Category: Health
Expert:  D. Baron, MD replied 9 years ago.
You have what is called a "tailor's bunion". Treatment options are buying wider shoes and padding the area with inserts or consulting a podiatrist to see if it needs repair. I hope this was helpful.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Sorry I know what a bunion is these are actualy bone my shoes are plenty wide and I have never wore high heels My shoes have always been very comfortable I feel I walk with a slight limp due to my leg being a bit shorter than the other . my left foot is just fine If not a bunion could it be something else ? I am 75 and in very good health I take a durietic for my high blood pressure .25 Thank you
A tailor's bunion is not like a bunion that affects the big toe. It's a widening of the angle between the 4th and 5th metatarsal along with exostosis (abnormal bone growth) of the 5th metatarsal that attaches to the small toe. It's impossible to make an accurate diagnosis in this setting. I suggest you consult a podiatrist.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
top bone is between the ankel and towards the middle between the 2nd and 4th toe and on top of foot and the bone on the side middle on side bottom , what causes exostosis
Ok, now I understand the problem better. That is also a relatively common exostosis that podiatrists treat pretty regularly. It is usually due to some type of pressure on the instep of the foot. You need to call a podiatrist tomorrow and make an appointment to be seen. The sooner you consult a podiatrist, the sooner you will achieve comfort.