Nurse Annie
Nurse Annie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  PHD RN 40+ years in nursing all depts & units 20+ years as a midwife, certified lactation consultant

I am 37 weeks pregnant and I am constipated and my ...

Customer Question

I am 37 weeks pregnant and I am constipated and my stomache hurts. Can I take a teaspoon of castor oil.
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Annie replied 9 years ago.

No- castor oil is not recommended during pregnancy.
Constipation is very common during pregnancy. Your diet should focus on high fiber items such as fresh fruit and vegetables, whole-grain cereals, breads, and other baked goods, dried beans and peas, and dried fruit. If you normally eat little fiber, add these foods to your diet gradually or you may find your stomach unsettled. It is also best to spread out your meals by eatting six small meals. If this doesn't seem to help much, try adding some wheat bran, starting with a small sprinkle and working up to a couple of tablespoons. Avoid larger quantities of wheat bran. Also make sure you drink enough fluids, particularly water and fruit and vegetable juices. Some women find cups of hot water flavored with lemon but no sugar, especially helpful. If constipation is severe, prune juice may do the trick. Also consult your doctor about any exercise that you can do. If none of this is helpful, you need to contact your health care provider who may prescribe a bulk-forming stool softener for occasional use.