Sarah Rachel
Sarah Rachel, Nutritional Consultant / Herbalist
Experience:  Nutritional Consultant, Herbalist, Natural Health Advocate, Studying to be a Holistic Practitioner
2833627

I have small bumps on the inside of my thigh, very close to ...

I have small bumps on the inside of my thigh, very close to the groin area but don't appear to be on the groin area. These bumps are tiny and almost whitish in colour. They do not itch or blister or anything. They have been present for about 5 months. They are closely situated and there are about 20 of them. Can you help tell me what it could be?

Hello my friend,

I understand your concern and I will do everything I can to help you. Most likely, what you describe is "folliculitis" which is due to inflamed hair follicles. Folliculitis (ingrown hairs) can appear as a pustule or papule with a central hair. You will see the central hair shaft may not always be visible. They usually crop up in a grid like pattern on hair bearing areas of the body ( face, scalp, body folds, groin, thigh. They elicit mild discomfort and cosmetic concern and sometimes white "sebum" can be extruded from them. Treatment can be achieved with antibiotics, such as erythromycin 2% or Clindomycin 1% solution. Your best bet would be to consult with a dermatologist, who can identify the problem and address the issue.

However in most cases the problem will go away on its own and the bumps will heal although you may have to give it some time. If it is becomes painful I would consult a doctor right away. If it were herpes you would see several bumps like an outbreak all over your genital area so you can rest assured that its not herpes. In grown hairs is the most likely culprit however you would need to be seen by a doctor to be properly diagnosed. Since this has been visible on your skin for some time I do feel that you should see a dermatologist for treatment.

Please click on accept otherwise please request more information. I am always here for you.

Take care

Sarah :)

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Sarah Rachel's Post: Hi Sarah;

Thank you for your advice. My sister is concerned that it may HPV warts although I have looked on the web and my bumps do not look anything like the photos they show for warts. I am recently married and have only had one partner over the last 5+ years. Is it strange that ingrown hairs would appear in such multiples at one time? My hair would be so fine on the inside of the thigh - basically at the joint of the leg and crotch. Please reply and again, thank you for your advice.

Hello my friend,

There is a chance that it could be in grown hairs. They can also pop up on anyone at any time and sometimes happen when the pores become clogged. I had a strange outbreak of in grown hairs and I went to the dermatologist and since then they never came back. It also has to do with the condition of the skin. They are just more likely to pop up on the groin area.

The bumps could also be HPV but its un likely because the warts typically look like clusters, however there are different strains of HPV some of which are more rare. I recommend seeing your gynecologist and getting tested first. If they offer you no help then I recommend that you take the next step by seeing the dermatologist. They could also be skin tags which are just a cosmetic issue and would need to be removed by a derm. Skin tags look like lumps of skin similar to clear moles but they can show up in all sorts of strange shapes. They can show up anywhere on the body, but are more prone to show up on the arms, arm pits, and groin area.

I hope this helps. Please click on accept otherwise please request more information. I am always here for you.

Take care

Sarah :)