Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.

I can feel my heart beating in my right leg. It throbs and ...

I can feel my heart beating in my right leg. It throbs and aches and feels like the musle is tightening up. I am overweight and have diabetes. It hurts in any position (up or down). Hurts from hip to ankle. Any suggestions
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 9 years ago.

Is there any color change to the leg?

Is there any swelling or changes to temperature of leg?

Is there any numbness or tingling?

How long has this been a problem?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Pauline's Post: There is no color change. If I walk for any period of time, there is numbness in the thigh area. There is no swelling. I sit at a desk 8-9 hours a day. Pain is even worse at night.
Expert:  Pauline replied 9 years ago.

You need to see a doctor to be evaluated for peripheral artery disease. This is a common complication in diabetic patients and also occurs in overweight people too. There could be a problem with the circulation around the leg.

They will want to compare the blood pressure in the ankle with your normal arm blood pressure. They will also want to look at your long term glucose control.

With a sedentary job then you need to ensure that are getting exercise for at least 30 minutes daily, so using the time on the way to or from work , or at lunch to get some walking in will help maintain circulation. But you must see a doctor before you start to lose circulation to your foot.