Dr. Bush
Dr. Bush, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  board certified family dr, specialize in women, children &sexual diseases
4738463

what causes mucus in urine or tissue like material in urine (female)

Looks like mucus/tissue floating in urine - I am 49 year old female. Also, experiencing hair loss that I don't think is related to the urine.

Mucous threads can normally appear in urine, and it is only a problem when a large amount of them are seen. In such cases, this might indicate inflammation or infection of the urinary tract. If you're seeing a large amount of mucus in your urine, or are having other symptoms, such as pain when urinating, frequent urination, burning, blood in urine, increased urgency, a urinalysis to test for infection would be advised.

It's unlikely the hair loss is related to this, as it is usually caused by such things as hormonal imblances, thyroid problems, and use of certain medications (see more here: http://www.webmd.com/skin-beauty/guide/women-hair-loss-causes) a simple blood test and CBC might be used to determine the cause for this in your case.

I hope this helps!

Melissa, B.S. Biology/Psychology
Experience: B.S. Biology/Psychology - University of Georgia
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Melissa's Post: Hi Melissa:
Thank you for you answer. I also take lorazepam - do you think that this medication could cause hair loss? I take the lorazepam for anxiety

I don't see lorazepam (ativan) listed as a specific medication that causes hair loss, but I do know that a lot of the psychotropic medications do (especially antidepressants). Also, ativan tends to lower heart rate and blood pressure, and medications with this effect are said to be able to cause hair loss as well. Others include birth control pills, if you're taking those (see http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/symptoms/hair_loss/side-effects.htm for a complete list).

The major cause, however, is usually related to some kind of hormonal disorder or change: menopause, hypo or hyperthyroidism, anemia, pituitary hormone problems, for example. Even though medications can cause hair loss, I would definitely recommend a blood test to rule out these hormonal or endocrine causes, which are easily treatable and could reverse your symptoms.

Melissa, B.S. Biology/Psychology
i consulted several dermatology texts and do see lorazepam on all their lists for possibility of hair loss.

The following sources have been used to create this list of drugs that can cause hair loss, however the list is still far from comprehensive.

1. "Drug Eruption Reference Manual 2000"
    Litt, Jerome Z
    The Parthenon Publishing Group
    New York 2000
  2. "Dermatology Moschella and Hurley"
    Moschella, Samuel L, Hurley, Harry J (eds)
    WB Saunders Company
    Philadelphia 1985
  3. "Disorders of Hair Growth"
    Olsen, Elise A. (ed)
    McGraw Hill Inc
    New York 1994
  4. "Clinical Dermatogy, 2nd Edition"
    Habif, Thomas P
    CV Mosby Company
    St. Louis 1990
  5. "Diseases of the Hair and Scalp"
    Rook A, Dawber RPR (eds)
    Blackwell Scientific Publications
    Oxford 1991
Dr. Bush, Doctor (MD)
Experience: board certified family dr, specialize in women, children &sexual diseases