Dr. Steve
Dr. Steve, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor (MD): Board-Certified Family Doctor
2362474

I have some bleeding at the tip of my penis. This occurs at ...

Customer Question

I have some bleeding at the tip of my penis. This occurs at the tip of my penis or the (urethral tract). There is no blood in my urine or sperm. It oftens bleeds at night. This may sound weird but when my penis sticks to my underwear after sex (when I sleep) I feel like it cuts the opening of my (ureathral tract)...Is this common?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Steve replied 9 years ago.

Hi Mark,

It sounds as if you have an uncommon skin condition called:

'Friable Urethral Meatus Opening'

This is fairly rare--and there is no 'pat' answer. But--other than the inconveniences [and sometimes discomfort], this is not a dangerous condition. It is a type of 'skin disease' that is limited to the urethral opening area. It can come on at any age [but typically between late teens to early 30s].

My suggestion is to seek out a highly-reputed Urologist or Dermatologist in your area; they will know about the condition and how to treat it.

Good luck.

(also-you can ask a followup Q, if you need to). "CHAT" is available too.

Best Wishes for your Health,

--Dr. Steve, M.D./FABFP

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply toCustomers Post: This has only been present for about 1 month. Is there anything to treat it? Also, it only bleeds when I sleep, there is usually just a little blood at the tip. Why would it be irritated at night only?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
This has only been present for about 1 month. Is there anything to treat it? Also, it only bleeds when I sleep, there is usually just a little blood at the tip. Why would it be irritated at night only?
Expert:  Dr. Steve replied 9 years ago.

Typically--this usually happens at night [because people usually have sex at night: the resulting seminal secretions 'dry up' while one is sleeping, then attaches to the underwear like a glue; then as one moves around during sleep, it breaks the 'glue seal', causing bleed].

I suggest thorough cleansing of the penis after sex [either via shower; or 'sponge bath']; followed by some application of 'VASELINE jelly' to penis tip right before going to bed...try it: I think you'll be pleased w/ results!

Take care.

"CHAT" is available too.

Best Wishes for your Health,

--Dr. Steve, M.D./FABFP

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Is this something that will heal on its own or will be be around forever?
Expert:  Dr. Steve replied 9 years ago.

Should heal with proper TX; but only qualified dermatologists [usually] are adept at treating this.

Best Wishes for your Health,

--Dr. Steve, M.D./FABFP

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Is it safe to have sex with my girlfriend even if that area gets irritated during sex? It just creates a uncomfortable situation knowing that that area may become irritated and bleed during oral sex or intercourse.
Expert:  Dr. Steve replied 9 years ago.

It is 'safe', as long as she is completely-free of all std's.

But if the bleed is bothersome, then abstain until after you've been treated.

I hope you found this to be helpful-IF SO, please hit **ACCEPT** as you read this Answer, in order that I might be credited for my time. (Positive Feedbacks and Bonuses appreciated also). THANKS ! [further Q's can be requested via live CHAT]

"CHAT" is available too.

Best Wishes for your Health,

--Dr. Steve, M.D./FABFP