Sarah Rachel
Sarah Rachel, Nutritional Consultant / Herbalist
Experience:  Nutritional Consultant, Herbalist, Natural Health Advocate, Studying to be a Holistic Practitioner

What is this lump under my skin

Last month, I had a huge bruise on the inner side of my left leg, superior to the knee. The bruise is now gone. However, I now have a small, sold-feeling lump under the skin in the area. This wasn't there before the bruise. Could this be from the bruise? Will it go away on it's own? What could it be? Should I be concerned?
Category: Health
Expert:  Sarah Rachel replied 9 years ago.

Hello my friend,

I understand your concern and I will do everything I can to help you. Bruises can happen when blood is released from capillaries which are under the skin. This typically happens from a high impact injury. The bruise will change color as it heals and eventually go away. A contusion is a bump which happens right under the skin after an injury. It may not be noticeable at first but can stay for quite some time even after the bruise is gone. A contusion is is from fluid which collects under the skin from the injury. The bump could also be a hemotoma which is similar yet a little different. A hematoma is a bump which also happens after an injury. It is caused from blood which gathers underneath the skin. Both types of lumps are directly associated with bruises and can take 4 to 6 weeks to clear up even after the bruise is gone. The best thing to do is avoid putting pressure on it and just allow your body to heal. It is not anything serious and will go away in time. If you want to help your body heal faster you can apply ice packs to help with any swelling. Be sure to also take 1000 mg of vitamin C daily as this boost your immune system and the ability for your body to heal. I also recommend that you take a whole food multi-vitamin and mineral supplement daily as part of a healthy lifestyle. Drinking 8 to 10 glasses of water can also help the body the heal faster. Be sure that your staying well hydrated.

I hope this helps. Please click on accept otherwise please request more information. I am always here for you.

Take care

Sarah :)