Susan
Susan, Medical Transcriptionist
Experience:  1 1/2 yrs. in medical field
5027213

Im having excessive gas after my sons birth why

Customer Question

excessive gas, frequent bowel movements, no appetite, irritable, tired, can't sleep
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan replied 7 years ago.

Hi. There could be numerous reasons for gas after the birth of a child, they could be physiologically related or not. If you had a c-section this could be a result of the surgery disrupting your organs and due to the trauma of the surgery itself. There is also a possibility of post-partum depression, which can manifest itself as physical problem(s). Your mention of lack of appetite, insomnia, irritability and excessive tiredness would make me think the latter is to blame.

If you have any further questions please feel free to inquire.

Susan

Susan, Medical Transcriptionist
Experience: 1 1/2 yrs. in medical field
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm in therapy once a week now. I don't feel that it is post partum. I was on Zoloft for 2 months with no change. I'm starting to wonder if it's my thyroid. It seems like no matter what I eat I just don't feel well.

Also I had a natural childbirth with no complications.

I have been on and off a sleeping pill since July 2005. And have had ongoing stomach issues my whole life.
Expert:  Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport replied 7 years ago.
Susan,

My name is Steve. I also answer health questions here...

If you have not already done so, try otc Gas Ex (Symmethicone).

You might also try Beano -- if you think this might be vegetable related. Keep in mind that your body is still not back to normal hormonally -- and this could be affecting your digestion.

I suggest that you keep a written-log of what you eat and your symptoms -- in order to see if you can discern any patterns (or food culprits). You might also try increasing your exercise level (assuming that you are not already run ragged) to see if that makes any difference. Read more here.

Of course, increased exercise may help with the other symptoms you mention.

If the symptoms persist or worsen -- you should see your health-care provider.

Click above Link(s) (if any) for additional information.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, thanks for the opportunity to assist you... Please honor my efforts by Clicking the green 'Accept' button (located within this post -- above-right). Adding a bonus -- should you wish to do so -- would be warmly welcomed.

I would also appreciate your Feedback comments regarding your experience with me.

Good Luck!

Steve
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Steve,

I have tried Gas X and such, I've done the diary and everything.

I am seeing the Endocrinologist on Friday June 1st to have my thyroid checked.

I do excercise some doing pilates and the treadmill.

If it is just post partum and I've manifested all of this, what help do I need to get?
First off, I believe you are absolutely doing the right thing by trying to rule out things like a thyroid deficiency.

Also, it sounds like you are really making an effort to deal with your symptoms sensibly.

I suggest that you take a personal 'inventory':

1.) Are you getting enough rest?

2.) Are you getting enough help at home?

3.) are you expecting too much out of yourself -- putting yourself under too much pressure with unrealistic expectations.

4.) are you taking time for yourself -- to eat well -- to visit with friends -- to take a hot bath -- to be someone besides 'Mom'?

Read more here.

Good Luck!

Steve
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport's Post: I am taking "me" time quite often. My husband and I work as a team. There is no "job" at home that is his or mine. We work together on child care, cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc. I have a lot of help.

I go to bed every night when I put the baby to sleep and take Ambien to fall asleep.

The most difficult part is the stomach upset that I have. I have a formed bowel movement sometimes 6 times a day. It's almost as if my metabolism is running too quickly.
At this point I am going to ask one of our other experts to take a look at your question -- in case I have missed something. If I come up with any brainstorms, that no one else has thought of in the meantime, I will chime in again.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Expert:  Deborah replied 7 years ago.

Hello Susan,

Have you had a consult with a gastroenterologist or colorectal specialist?

You may be experiencing a condition known as Irritable Bowel Syndrome, often referred to as IBS. Irritable bowel syndrome, is a common disorder that causes a variety of symptoms, some of which may include abdominal pain, diarrhea and/or constipation, bloating, gassiness, and cramping. Because these symptoms may be caused by a number of different bowel diseases, IBS is usually diagnosed only after your doctor determines you don't have a more serious problem.

IBS VIdeo

IBS

Gas

Intestinal Gas

More on Intestinal Gas

Click on the underlined links to learn more. Let me know what questions you may have. I will check back throughout the day. Additionally, I will be on and offline throughout the holiday weekend.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Deborah,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Susan I don't know where that came from..............anywhoo I had a colonoscopy on Friday May 18th with no problems found. They did mention IBS, but I have been on a high fiber diet for 6 weeks, no dairy, no caffeine, no pop, etc.......I'm trying to rule out anything and everything at this point before I just say oh it's IBS.

I do not have an appetite and when I do eat, I can eat a half a sandwich and be full. That to me is not IBS.

I'm just frustrated as I do not have a "social" life at all at this point.
Expert:  Susan replied 7 years ago.

Hey Deborah,

This is Susan again. From what I've read in your answers to questions I am thinking you could perhaps have several things: a stomach ulcer in conjunction with another illness, enterocolitis, ulcerative colitis, or possible Chron's disease(unlikely because you do not have other symptoms associated with the disease). Symptoms of ulcerative colitis include painful diarrhea, fever (have you had a fever?), abdominal pain, dehydration, or blood or pus in the diarrhea (have you had this?). Ulcerative colitis involve all or part of the colon or rectum. Chron's can affect any part of your digestive system. Blood tests for anemia can check for this illness or drinking of a barium before a series of gastrointestinal x-rays are taken.

Hope this helps!

-Susan

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Susan's Post: Hi Susan,

I keep getting bumped around from person to person.

I had a colonoscopy done 5/18 with no signs of Chrohns, Colitis, etc.

My concerns it that I don't sleep, night sweats, irritability, loss of appetite, weight loss, upset stomach, excessive bowel movements, etc.
Expert:  Susan replied 7 years ago.

DearCustomer

This is Susan once again. I have further researched your symptoms and have one last attempt to help you in your search. I believe there is a possibility that you may have giardiasis. This condition causes diarrhea, stomach cramps, gas, and nausea and is caused by an infection of the intestines by a parasite. I suggest you research this condition online and see if it suits your symptoms. I also want to make a suggestion of going to http://www.webmd.com and using their symptom checker to assess your symptoms.

If this answer has been of any help to you, I would greatly appreciate that you 'Accept' my answer. I would greatly appreciate any bonus you would be able to give me for my continued assistance in your matter.

Get to feeling better!! That's an order!!

-Susan

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for all of your help!
I thought of one other thing which might be of help. If you have not already done so, you may want to consider trying a pro biotic acidophilus supplement. As it happens, I have irritable bowel syndrome with chronic abdominal bloating after eating.

For the last few months I have used a supplement called Accu-flora with excellent results. It is in tablet form and, unlike most pro biotic formulations, does not require refrigeration.

Good Luck!

Steve