Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

while being on your period and you get drug tested can

Customer Question

while being on your period and you get drug tested can that test show more drug use then one before you were on your period even if you quit doing drugs
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Strong RN MS replied 9 years ago.

Are you asking about urine drug screens or blood? When was your last use of drugs, and which ones? When were you tested each time, and when did your period start? Have you gained or lost weight, from the time you were first tested to the next? I want to be able to give you a complete answer, but need more information. Be specific, please.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Susan Strong RN MS FNP's Post: I AM WONDER ABOUT A URINE DRUG TEST LAST USE WAS 5/03/07 TESTED AT LEAST ONCE A WEEK I WAS ON MY PERIOD FOR THE FIRST AND LAST ONE THESE URINE TEST CONTINUED UNTIL 5/23/07 NO I DID NOT LOSE OR GAIN WEIGHT ONLY DURING MY PERIOD I GAINED 5 POUNDS THE URINE TEST WAS ON A POINT SYSTEM FIRST ONE 55 SECOND 52 THIRD 25 FOUR 189 NOW I QUIT SMOKING WEED THAT WAS THE ONLY DRUG NOW HOW CAN THIS TEST SHOW THAT IF I QUIT 5/3/07 CAN A URINE TEST BE WRONG
Expert:  Family Physician replied 9 years ago.
The levels of cannabinoids in urine can vary greatly - primarily based on fluid intake. As the body clears the metabolites (break down products of THC), the concentration is dependent on 2 things: The amount of the drug (metabolite) AND the amount of urine in which that metabolite is dissolved.

A single test showing an increase does NOT mean that the test is an error - it is likely that you were less well hydrated on that particular day.