Dr Amit Munjal
Dr Amit Munjal, Physician
Experience:  B.A.M.S{Ayurveda Physician}Worked in various clinical departments like Medicine,ER,Gynae
1189392

I have a severe headache, stiff neck, sore throat, and dry cough.

Customer Question

tiredness, fatigue, started 6 day ago, sore neck and shoulder muscles, head sometimes throbs espcially if I cough. Headache pretty much involves entire head including under cheak bones and Jaw joints but predominates temples, forehead and base of skull. Hurts to swallow. Symptoms get much worse at nite and ease up late morning thru afternoon (expect for today). Temp right now is 99.2 F
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Amit Munjal replied 7 years ago.

Ideally you should get a throat culture to rule our streptococcal throat infection since you are having a history of sore throat .

If this is due to bacterial infection you will need to be prescribed antibiotics .

In the mean time you may take usual pain killer like Tylenol or motrin for symptomatic pain relief .

Anti histaminic like cetrizine once daily.

Steam inhalation twice a day strictly .

Saline gargles twice a day .

Also your X- ray of para - nasal sinuses may be done especially since you are complaining of pain in cheek bones and head ache .

Sinusitis may also cause some of these symptoms .

Hope this helps

Dr Amit Munjal, Physician
Experience: B.A.M.S{Ayurveda Physician}Worked in various clinical departments like Medicine,ER,Gynae
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Dr Amit Munjal's Post: could these be Mono symtoms? a friend at the office was positively diagnosed a few days ago.

The headache is severe like a migrane, sometimes seeming to cause mild nausea. The pain at the base of my neck/skull seem very unusual. When swallow it makes my forehead and top of my head ache.

twice today there has been to be a sudden burst of head pain that immediately subsided. Apart from that, one occurence of a quick pop that was really wierd but not more painful...if anything the ache subsided a bit afterward.

I am around alot of kids, and some on suggested Meningitis? that seems extreme.

I live in a very arid and dusty climate. I always have sinus pressure, cant smell very well and get frequent nose bleeds, even a persistant scab.

Temp now 99.9

Also, I am an animal trainer who has handled many species (very few primates) and worked abroad in places like Africa, Cambodia, etc. Just FYI, I havent been abroad since 2003

As such these symptoms can be due to Mononucleosis also .

Check this link

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mononucleosis/DS00352/DSECTION=2

But you need to make sure that you are not having bacterial infection of throat requiring antibiotics .

Meningitis doesnot seems likely as you have not mentioned any associated neck rigidity .Also you are having a history of sore throat and difficulty in swallowing which suggest that focus of infection is in the throat itself .

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What anitbiotics are best....for sinus infection?....for Strep?

Augmenten, Amoxi, doxi?

Amoxicillin , Azithromycin may be prescribed for streptococcal throat .

Augmentin is also used for Respiratory infection .

Regarding best antibiotic the sensitivity report ( Culture and sensitivity) should be done .

Dr Amit Munjal, Physician
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Dr Amit Munjal's Post: Thank you for your help! Is it urgent that I see doctor or wait a few more days to see if it starts to improve? the advil is no longer effective. I just noticed that when I bend down to get something on the floor my head feels like expoding...thats new.

Also, the soreness regarding the throat...it is probably more accurate to say that it is located in the upper area where the oral cavity connects to the throat...pharynx?...possibly where the sinus connects, and definitely the soft palate. The soreness does not go down the esophogus or trachea.

Most likely what you describe is inflammed and congested pharynx .

graphic

Source- en.wikipedia.org/?title=Sore_throat

Also sinus infection can cause the symptom you describe .

Your pharynx are definetly inflammed.

Steam inhalation and saline gargles will definetly help you .

Sinus infection can cause post nasal drip .

Check this link

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/sinus_infection/page3_em.htm