Dr Amit Munjal
Dr Amit Munjal, Physician
Experience:  B.A.M.S{Ayurveda Physician}Worked in various clinical departments like Medicine,ER,Gynae

I have severe headache, sore throat, stiff neck and dry cough

Customer Question

Tiredness and fatigue started 6 day ago. Sore neck and shoulder muscles, head sometimes throbs especially if I cough. Headache pretty much involves entire head including under cheek bones and jaw joints but predominates temples, forehead and base of skull. Hurts to swallow. Symptoms get much worse at night and ease up late morning thru afternoon (expect for today). Temp right now is 99.2 F.

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Amit Munjal replied 9 years ago.

Ideally you should get a throat culture to rule out streptococcal throat infection since you are having a history of sore throat. If this is due to bacterial infection you will need to be prescribed antibiotics. In the mean time you may take usual pain killer like Tylenol or motrin for symptomatic pain relief.

Anti histaminic like cetrizine once daily.

Steam inhalation twice a day strictly.

Saline gargles twice a day.

Also your X- ray of para - nasal sinuses may be done especially since you are complaining of pain in cheek bones and headache.

Sinusitis may also cause some of these symptoms.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Could these be Mono symptoms? A friend at the office was positively diagnosed a few days ago.
The headache is severe like a migraine, sometimes seeming to cause mild nausea. The pain at the base of my neck/skull seem very unusual. When I swallow it makes my forehead and top of my headache.
Twice today there has been a sudden burst of head pain that immediately subsided. Apart from that, one occurrence of a quick pop that was really weird but not more painful...if anything the ache subsided a bit afterward.
I am around a lot of kids, and some one suggested Meningitis? That seems extreme.
I live in a very arid and dusty climate. I always have sinus pressure, can't smell very well and get frequent nose bleeds, even a persistent scab.
Temp now 99.9
Also, I am an animal trainer who has handled many species (very few primates) and worked abroad in places like Africa, Cambodia, etc. Just FYI, I haven't been abroad since 2003.

As such these symptoms can be due to Mononucleosis also.

Check this link

But you need to make sure that you are not having bacterial infection of throat requiring antibiotics.

Meningitis does not seem likely as you have not mentioned any associated neck rigidity. Also you are having a history of sore throat and difficulty in swallowing which suggests that focus of infection is in the throat itself.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

What antibiotics are best....for sinus infection?....for Strep?
Augmenten, Amoxi, doxi?

Amoxicillin, Azithromycin may be prescribed for streptococcal throat.

Augmentin is also used for respiratory infection.

Regarding best antibiotic the sensitivity report (culture and sensitivity) should be done.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Thank you for your help! Is it urgent that I see a doctor or wait a few more days to see if it starts to improve? The advil is no longer effective. I just noticed that when I bend down to get something on the floor my head feels like expoding...that is new.
Also, the soreness regarding the is probably more accurate to say that it is located in the upper area where the oral cavity connects to the throat. Pharynx?...possibly where the sinus connects, and definitely the soft palate. The soreness does not go down the esophogus or trachea.

Most likely what you describe is inflammed and congested pharynx .

Also sinus infection can cause the symptom you describe. Your pharynx are definitely inflamed.

Steam inhalation and saline gargles will definitely help you. Sinus infection can cause post nasal drip. Check this link