Justin Mandel
Justin Mandel, Acupuncture Specialist Dipl.OM.L.Ac
Experience:  Trained in Western Medicine, Board Certifed Oriental Medicine, seeing patients for 10+years

What is levoscoliotic curve MRI shows mild scoliosis and ...

Customer Question

What is levoscoliotic curve? MRI shows mild scoliosis and mild diffuse degenerative changes. There are mild degenerative changes throughout the thoracic spine. There is mild disc space narrowing at L3-L4 and L4-L5. There is moderate disc space narrowing at L5-S1. There are mild to moderate facet joint degenerative changes in the lower lumbar spine. There may be a pars intra-articular defect in the lamina of L5. Equivocal pars defect in the lamina of L5.

I'm in a greatdeal of pain everyday from work. I cannot take pain meds, too many side affects/or allergic reactions. What over the counter will help me?
Category: Health
Expert:  Justin Mandel replied 9 years ago.

How long ago was this MRI from?

Do you have any history of back injury or trauma?

Have you tried any therapy for your back besides the tens unit?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Justin Mandel's Post: MRI was done 2001 & March 2007. I had a back injury back in the late 1990's was off work for 1 year. Fell outside on some logs [on my bottom] Heat pads and cold pads for the pain and swelling.

Had a back injury 2001. Had therapy at Kaiser. They put me on the traction table [several weeks] for that. Had deep massage therapy w/Acupuncture. Fell inside my home trying to pick up a PC box from the floor, off work till 2007.

In 2007 at work, trying to place a box over my height. Was doing some stocking at work and swung 30 lbs overhead the wrong way. Deep massage therapy [too painful for that]light massage was done. Did stretching exercises, still do. Had lidocaine injections for the pain. Didn't help much. Also use a hot tub w/jets that we have here at our home.
Thank You for responding.

It's my pleasure to try to help, and thank you for the full answer!

The levoscoliotic curve is a curve in the spine caused by a tight single sided paraspinal muscle in spasm. Essentially one side is very tight and its pulling the spine either to the left or to the right.

The key in this case is to get the paraspinal muscle to relax to help straighten out the curve.

Unfortunately for this something over the counter is not going to help since the cause needs a manual means of fixing it.

My suggestion is to try a chiropractic care to help relax the curve. Once the curve is relaxed this should help to lessen or eliminate the pain you are in.

Please click "Accept" if you found this to be helpful and informative!