Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

Is it safe to take 75 mg of effexor xr and 20 mg of prozac ...

Customer Question

Is it safe to take 75 mg of effexor xr and 20 mg of prozac together at the same time? What about serotonin syndrome? thank you
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. German replied 10 years ago.

Yes, it is safe.

Effexor does not interact with many other medications.

One of the medications,that should not be taken with Effexor,is Tagamet (Cimetidine), this is a medication ,used to treat ulcers.

In patients, with history of high blood pressure and liver disorders, Effexor can make worse these conditions.

And the other medications, that must not be taken with Effexor, are MAOIs (an antidepressive medications like: Parnate or Nardil) . This combination can be lethal. Because this combination,can produce seizures and tachycardia very intense and dangerous.

In relation,to the serotonin syndrome ,this is related, to MAOIs medications, not to Effexor or Prozac that are selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SSNRIs).

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Will it increase the benefits of helping the depression along with increasing energy?

Yes, definitely this is a good combination, that will help to treat the depression, increasing the energy , and motivation to be active and do things. Wink

If you like my answer, click accept. A bonus will always be sincerely appreciated.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to ALVARO's Post: I called my pysch meds practioner, and according to their resources. Prozac and Effexor should NOT be combined due to major heart problems. I am dissapointed that you gave such unsafe and inaccurate medical advice. I demand a refund.
Give me your paypal adress,to give you the money back
Customer i HAVE 30 YEARS OF PRACTICE, AND i HAVE NEVER SEEN ADVERSE INTERACTIONS WITH THESE 2 DRUGS, ON THE CONTRARY, BUT IF YOU WANT ,GIVE ME YOUR PAYPAL ADRESS, AND I will refund you,your money.

I will contact the JUST ANSWER MODERATORS, or JUST ANSWER ADMINISTRATORS , THEY WILL TELL ME , HOW CAN I REFUND YOU, THE MONEY ,DIRECTLY FROM MY ACCOUNT.

I talked with my JUST ANSWER HEALTH administrator,they will refund you the money from my account.

Katie 72, JUST ANSWER , MODERATORS SENT YOU THE REFUND.

I am very sorry, for the inconvenience, but in my practice, I never have seen adverse interactions.

Best Regard:

Dr.Alvaro

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
what resource are you using to determine no adverse reaction ( IN EXAMPLE pdr?)AS FAR AS POTENTIAL HEART FAILURE OR PROBLEMS ORSEROTININ SYNDROME. PLEASE EXPLAIN WHERE YOUR INFO IS COMING FROM AND WHAT YOUR CREDENTIALS ARE.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
according to the use of Providence Hospital Health Systems on line database, these two drugs prozac 20 mg and effexor 150 mg SHOULD NOT be combined.i.e because of damage to heart , liver or kidneys. Please respond