Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice

My index finger got numb and turned white and felt very ...

Customer Question

My index finger got numb and turned white and felt very cold. It was like blood could not reach that area.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 9 years ago.

Have you ever had this problem before? Or is it the first time? Has it ever occurred anywhere in any other finger or toe before?

What were doing with your hands just before this occured? Were you sleeping?

Do you have diabetes or high blood pressure?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I do not remember this happening before at least not to this degree. I do have high blood
pressure, but it is not too bad and under control. I do
have severe rheumatoid arthritis

You are quite right in suspecting that there was a decrease in the blood supply when your index finger became white and cold. The numbness is a sign that the nerves were also affected.

The phenomenon is called Raynaud's phenomenon. In this condition, the blood vessels of either a single finger or toe or a number of fingers become varrow and constricted. This can occur in reaction to extreme cold, emotional upsets and stress of any kind. This leads to a decreased blood supply to the particular finger.

Constriction at the base of the finger could have caused this problem. And constriction can occur in diseases that affect the blood vessels such as atherosclerosis, rhematoid arthritis, Buerger's disease etc.

Since you have rheumatoid arthritis, I suspect that this is the basic cause of the Raynaud's phenomenon in your case.

Please consult your doctor. There is no specific treatment of Raynaud's, but if the problem persists, you may need to be given medicines to dilate the blood vesels.

To know more about Raynaud's phenomenon, please see:

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. A positive rating and adding a bonus will be warmly appreciated.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
i knew there was a name to it....I just could not remember. I have read about it before so I may have had problems in the past with numbness but not turning white. That was a great help to me. thank you so much.

You are welcome.