Nurse Annie
Nurse Annie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  PHD RN 40+ years in nursing all depts & units 20+ years as a midwife, certified lactation consultant

Can douche with ammonium alum hurt you

Customer Question

I douched with ammonium alum because I heard that it helped tighten and would enhance the pleasure.
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Annie replied 9 years ago.

Any type of douching is not reccommended anymore. Douching can not only disrupt the normal pH of your body, but can also make it more open to infection. There are also plenty of herb remedies that claim that they will help tighten the vagina, but not only are these not FDA tested for safety and effectiveness, they are a waste of money and don't work. The only option in this case would be surgery.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
My question was not answered. The question was can the ammonium alum be harmful. i am aware of thr fact that douching can stop the bodies ability to clean naturally. I want to know if the douche can be more harmful when adding ammonium alum?
Expert:  MasterDoc replied 9 years ago.
The best answer possible to this question is that no one knows. No one has ever done a scientific study of this issue. Certainly at a high enough concentration it could cause burning and irritation but no one has ever properly studied what low concentration might be safe.
Please click ACCEPT. Feel free to ask a follow-up question.

I am sorry but I was involved with another client on here. Ammonium alum is a product that is not used internally, and literature states that it can cause reproductive toxicity. As this is the case, I would refrain from using such a product internally, that is specifically for external use. As stated above, douching is not recommended for any reason anymore so it should be avoided completely.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Nurse Annie's Post: My question was not answered I feel like I need more information. Information such as what are the effects of this product in terms of me using it. I dont feel any symptoms and I have heard for years that women utilize this practice. I just would like to know outside of the answer "Douching is not good for you" because this varies some doctors say yes and others say as least as possible then others say not at all. My questions is are there side effects that could result from douching with ammonium alum?

The only published information about this is that it can cause carcinogenicity, reproductive and developmental toxicity, neurotoxicity, and acute toxicity. In otherwords, it is toxic to the body if used internally, and can result in harming the reproductive system including being a carcinogen. There are no other published studies as to the exact problems it can cause other than this. As far as douching in general, for quite a number of years many doctor have changed their thought on this, since it can cause infections, and make current infections worse. As far as tightening the vagina, the only thing that can help would be Kegel exercises and surgery.