Sarah Rachel
Sarah Rachel, Nutritional Consultant / Herbalist
Experience:  Nutritional Consultant, Herbalist, Natural Health Advocate, Studying to be a Holistic Practitioner
2833627

My ring finger is swollen at the knuckle and my engagement ...

Customer Question

My ring finger is swollen at the knuckle and my engagement ring will not come off. How to I get the sweeling down?
Category: Health
Expert:  Sarah Rachel replied 7 years ago.

Hello my friend,

I understand your concern and I will do everything I can to help you. There are quite a few things you can do to get rid of the swelling and get the ring to come off. I will list a few different methods which have been known to be effective. Fingers tend to swell mostly when its warner and in the morning so late afternoon early evening is the best time to try to get the ring off.

Methods

*Hold your hands elevated above your head for a few minutes to draw fluids out of your hands. Rinse with very cold water for 5 minutes, dry well and then use olive oil to rub around your finger and ring for a few minutes very gently and work with it slowly. The more rough you are the more it will increase the swelling. Its best to be patient and work with it slowly.

*Soak your hands in ice water and wait until the redness goes down. Then apply lotion or olive oil to loosen the ring and get it off. Gentle and slow.

Interesting floss method

http://healthresources.caremark.com/topic/ring

*Don't eat any salt the day before attempting to remove the ring. Check your labels and don't use any table salt. Soak your hand in some cold water and lather finger in vaseline and twirl ring while pulling hand slowly.

Ultimately if you can't get your ring off don't allow anyone but a jeweler to cut the ring off. They are careful to preserve the ring and get it off your finger safely.

Take care

Sarah :)

Experience: Nutritional Consultant, Herbalist, Natural Health Advocate, Studying to be a Holistic Practitioner
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have already tried the above mentioned ideas and the knuckle just seems to be getting more swollen and irratated.

Hello my friend,

In this case you would need to abstain from trying to remove the ring at least for a week or so. Without the irritation the swelling will naturally go down gradually. I recommend that you try the methods again after waiting about a week or so. Try not to touch or pull on the ring during the waiting period. If the ring is causing you pain and it can't wait for another week then the only way to get relief would be to have it cut by a jeweler. They are typically able to cut the ring off gently and safely and they can then send it in to be repaired and re sized to a larger size so that you can wear it.

I hope this helps. Please click on accept otherwise please request more information. I am always here to help.

Take care

Sarah :)

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So there is nothing I can do to help with the sweeling

Hello my friend,

In the mean time to help with the swelling soak your finger in a cold bowl of ice water daily. You can also use a cool ice pack on your finger off and on throughout the day. Drink plenty of water. Drinking water can help with swelling because when your well hydrated this helps your body retain less water which in turn causes less swelling. Be sure to drink 8 to 10 glasses of pure water each day. Swelling is from inflammation inside the body or inflammation outside the body from irritation or from pinching pressure like your case with the ring. To help your body heal the inflammation you can take 1000 mg of vitamin C daily. You can also take ibuprofen with your dinner. This will help with the pain and it also helps with the swelling because this is one of the few pain killers that has a powerful anti-inflammatory effect.

Try not to work on getting the ring off any more until after the waiting period. If your finger is chapped or bleeding apply hydrogen peroxide to the open wound and then aloe very gel on it to speed healing.

Take care

Sarah :)

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck...........
Your soo very welcome!!! I am glad I was able to help. :)