MasterDoc, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Physician for 20 years

I am having pain under my arms and across my chest when ...

I am having pain under my arms and across my chest when Have had mamogram with no abnormal results.
Category: Health
Expert:  MasterDoc replied 9 years ago.
Tell me more about this pain. When does it come, what does it feel like, any other symptoms when it comes, do you have any medical history or are on any kind of pills.
Customer: replied 9 years ago. question was cut off. I am having the pains with deep breaths/cough/sneeze or exerting my self. The pain without doing any of these things feels like swelling and bruising under arms. When coughing etc. I have sharp pain from one side to another. directly across my chest.
Expert:  MasterDoc replied 9 years ago.
No shortness of breath? The pain has been for how long? Constant? If not how long does it last when it comes?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Pain under arms is constant. No shortness of breath. Pain started on left side approx. 4 wks ago and has spread to right side 2 weeks ago. Had slight dark green discharge from right breast and scheduled a mammogram. Again, results were normal. I am taking Tramadol during daytime hours for pain and occasionally Vicodin for help sleeping (pain wakes me when moving at night).
Expert:  MasterDoc replied 9 years ago.
Assuming the MD's are sure this is unrelated to the breast discharge (mammograms are NOT 100%!) then the list of possible causes is quite long. Likeliest based upon your description is some kind of infection causing swelling in the glands under the arms. The fact that the pain worsens with coughing suggests a muscular problem. Heart trouble is less likely but still possible. An extensive work-up (blood tests, x rays etc) should be done for pain such as you describe.
Please click ACCEPT. Feel free to ask a follow-up question.