Doctor_Shiv(M.D), MD
Experience:  Experienced Physician Specialising in Medicine,Gynae,ER

I have a tightness under my upper left arm. This started ...

Customer Question

I have a tightness under my upper left arm. This started in my left diaphram area below my left breast , moved to my upper shoulder and is now under my shoulder and upper left arm pit. I have been tested for heart problems and had a mammogram. Both results were normal.

Your previous reply was that this seemed to be muscle in origin. Since this has moved from under my left breast to my arm pit, could this be something different? Could I be doing something that might cause this problem? I was taking a "statin" (Vytorin) to maintain normal colesterol levels which I thought might be causing the problem but stopped taking that over a month ago. Since then, the tightness has moved to my shoulder and to my arm pit.
Category: Health
Expert:  Doctor_Shiv(M.D) replied 9 years ago.

In my opinion it could be due to medical condition called Costochondritis.It is an inflammation of the cartilage that joins the ribs to the chest bone. It is this inflammation that causes the sharp chest pains inside the chest wall

See here

As your cardiac tests are ok, so nothing much to worry. Take painkillers.

Hope you will be fine

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
If you noticed, I did not mention sharp pain. There is no pain. There is a tightness (tight pull) in those areas.    Most of the "tightness" has moved from the left chest (below the left breast) to the armpit by way of the shoulder. Most of the tightness is now below my upper left arm and pulls to the armpit. Does this still sound like Costochondritis with there being no pain?

Does the pain get settles by taking painkillers?

Which medications have you taken?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I have not taken pain medication because there is no pain. There is a tight pull only. Are "tightness" and "pain" the same in medical terms.

Feeling of tightness , can be considered as similar to get a pain.

So i would say that taking Painkillers will helps you .As you have not investigations done and no other cause is found, so possible diagnose seems to be- Costochondritis.

Take Care

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I am going to check "Accept" even though I feel that I have not gotten an answer to my problem. I talk about tightness and you continue to address pain. The first time I used this site, I was completely satisfied. This time, I am not, but you deserve to be paid for your effort, I suppose.