Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.

hair loss from using it but then the hair I lost never came back

I used a product called proceed on my hair over one year ago. The product is supposed to at first make hair fall out but then the hair is supposed to come back thicker. I had hair loss from using it but then the hair I lost never came back. It's been over one year.I went to "Hair Club" in my home town and they used a microscope on my head. The microscope is attached to a monitor and I saw my scalp up close. There was a bunch of tiny little blond hairs and the man using the microscope said that I had a lot of new hairs in my scalp. Is there a chance that the damaged hair follicles can come back?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. German replied 9 years ago.

Yes,there is a chance that your hair follicules come back, but no because you are using proceed, they will come back, because this is a natural phenomenon.

This product that you are using,called proceed,there is no medical evidence that this really works.

Some products, that can be effective for hair growth are:

Minoxidil ,Rogaine ,is a vasodilatator, that increases the scalp blood circulation, increasing the hair growth.

Finasteride,Propecia,decreases the production of DHEA, that is an important factor that produces hair loss. This medication comes in pills.

or Anthralin, available as cream or ointment,this is applied and washed off everyday ,on your scalp. This product stimulates new hair growth.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to ALVARO's Post: I don't understand. If the catagen phase lasts 3 weeks, the telogen phase lasts 3 months, and the first five stages of the anagen phase last 28 days then the hair I lost over a year ago to this product should have been back by. How would you explain the possibility of my hair coming back?
Expert:  Dr. D. Evans replied 9 years ago.
Yes, if this product had only caused the hair to fall out, it should have certainly been back by 3 months or so.

But it may be that the product did not just cause the hair to fall out but was toxic and, unfortunately, actually damaged the hair follicles. This would explain the hair follicles only producing a poor, thin growth. This is the only possibility that would explain your condition.

You should instead try the drug advised to you by the previous expert, with whom I agree. Minoxidil is a well proven drug and is also available OTC. you should apply it over the areas in which you have hair loss. You should apply it as early as possible, when there is still some growth coming from the follicles and they have not completely died out yet.

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below. Feedback/Bonus will be warmly appreciated.
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.