Cheryl K.
Cheryl K., Health Enthusiast
Experience:  Gen. Medicine/OB/GYN Infectious Disease /STD/Sexual Health/ Orthopaedics/ Pediatrics/Internal

How long after getting a cast off do you regain the

How long after getting a cast off do you regain the use of your hand and fingers without swelling and stiffness? I recently had a cast for 6 weeks due to broken wrist and 3 broken fingers, 1 had 2 pins in it. I got it off 10 days ago but have lots of swelling and stiffness.
I am going to therapy 3 times a week--would like your thoughts on this. I am a young 54 year old female....Thank you
Category: Health
Expert:  Cheryl K. replied 9 years ago.
The swelling is most likely from the therapy so you do need to use some warm compresses in the evenings and you can even alternate with icing it too. The stiffness is caused from the muscles and joints being prone and atrophyed due to six weeks of n use so this will help with the stiffness too. I also recommend a good joint suppliment that can be found at all local drug stores and Wal-mart called Move-Free which will add mositure and stability to your joints. It can take until you have completed therapy and in some cases longer to regain full motion to your hands and fingers. The fact you have had several breaks then this can make this harder to heal but by the time you finish therapy with the suppliments exercises and compresses you should have full motion back.