Cheryl K.
Cheryl K., Health Enthusiast
Experience:  Gen. Medicine/OB/GYN Infectious Disease /STD/Sexual Health/ Orthopaedics/ Pediatrics/Internal

I have a red sore, behind my ear, that oozes clear fluid.

I have a red sore, behind my ear, that oozes clear fluid. What could it be? Low fever too.
Category: Health
Expert:  Cheryl K. replied 7 years ago.

Hi Loretta,

How long has this been going on? The fever and the sore both if you do not mind and how low is your temperature And lastly is your hearing effected at all? This will allow me to best be of help to you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My normal temp is ~96. My temp has been running 99.7 - 99.9 since this thing appeared. No hearing problems. Completely external, I think. It changes appearance from flat and red, to raised bumpy areas. Did you see the things I tried? I even cut it open in desperation last night, but only got small amount of clear fluid. I aqueeze it all the time, to get the fluid out, then use peroxide and finish with antibiotic ointment.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Cheryl K.'s Post: Also - it's been about 2 weeks now. I feel crappy all over, as if I were getting the flu. I have MD appt. next Wed. 1 week.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is anyone there?
Expert:  Cheryl K. replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for all the detailed information as this is a great help to me. Yes I did see what all you have tried and while I do understand why you cut it open due to the despiration please try hard not to do this as you do not want this to get infected and the good thing is right now it is clear discharge and not yellow or green which is a sign of a deeper seated infection. But with the low grade fever, the fact that you feel it is mostly external, and the fact this had gone on for two weeks and is causing the overall sick feeling I do feel this is related to infection but due to your use of the peroxide, antibiotic ointment, and the fact that it is oozing and not entrapping the infection this is allowing it to prolong but not advance in worsening. I would lean toward a boil and even with your overall health this is possible so warm compresses are key to bring the infection to the surface and then this will excreat on it's own without you popping it and causing possible further infection. But due to your overall health and feeling like you have the flu feel this is more bacterial rather then viral as in most all cases unless you do have a low immune system are able to fight a viral infection faster then this so I feel antibiotics are needed. I would call them each day to see if there have been any cancellations and they can fit you in earlier so this does not have more time to progress. I would also recommend some Beta-Glucan which is a immune system booster that also helps to fight bacterial and viral infections by boosting your immune system but if this suppliment is not available at your local drug stores or Wal-mart they do all sell immune system boosters which is the best thing you can do at this time along with the warm compresses, antibiotic ointment, and peroxide until they can see if this could be a cyst or boil and treat it accordingly.
Cheryl K., Health Enthusiast
Experience: Gen. Medicine/OB/GYN Infectious Disease /STD/Sexual Health/ Orthopaedics/ Pediatrics/Internal
Expert:  Cheryl K. replied 7 years ago.

I am sorry it takes me a few minutes to type everything out as I try to be as detailed as I can, I am sorry that I kept you waiting and do thank you for your patience.