A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I was prescribed a z-pack for a cold and now I have a ...

I was prescribed a z-pack for a cold and now I have a bladder infection. Will the antibiotics cure the bladder infection as well?

It is impossible to tell if the Z-Pac will cover the bladder infection without a urine culture. Many bacteria are resistant to the newer drugs like azithromycin, and only an older drug like Bactrim-DS will cure them. I suggest you see your doctor for a culture to make sure your current drug is going to work.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Schuyler_ANP's Post: I'm not certain that I have a bladder infection but pretty sure. Is there any way I can tell for sure without going to the doctor?

Actually there isn't a sure-fire way. The doctor will need to do a urine test. If you are having symptoms of burning, urinary frequency, a feeling that you have to go but can't, it is probably a urinary tract infection. If you are having itching and burning in the vaginal area and perhaps a white discharge, this is more likely a yeast infection secondary to the antibiotics. You can try some over-the-counter yeast infection treatment such as Monistat or GyneLotrimin if you are having yeast infection symptoms. There is no antibiotic available over the counter for a bladder infection, and they generally just get worse with time, not better.