Cheryl K.
Cheryl K., Health Enthusiast
Experience:  Gen. Medicine/OB/GYN Infectious Disease /STD/Sexual Health/ Orthopaedics/ Pediatrics/Internal

rash - round red circles with white blisters in center -

my 8 year old has had a rash for the last few days. it looks like it is getting worse - round red circles with white blisters in center - painful to the touch accompanied with fever and body soreness
Category: Health
Expert:  Cheryl K. replied 6 years ago.
Does she have any symptoms of a sore throat? How high is her fever? And has she ever had chicken pox before? This will allow me to be of better help to you. Thank you.,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Cheryl K.'s Post: Her fever is around 100. She has not had the chicken pox before. No sore throat. It started on her lower stomach around the waist area. It has now spread to her legs, arms, back, a couple on her face and ears. She was in a hot tub about 2 days ago when this first started so we thought it was from that. However, there were two other kids that was with her, 1 only has a few spots that are much smaller than hers. The other has nothing.
Expert:  Cheryl K. replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for that information as this helps me to be able to help you better. This sounds like a viral infection related rash which does in most cases heal itself. Since she does not have a sore throat, high fever, it sounds like it is viral versus bacterial. This still could be chicken pox which is a viral infection that starts on the stomach, arms, or even the scalp and then spreads to the rest of the body. It does start out with a red looking rash and had a small blister looking center. As with other viral infections it heals itself although discomfort is there. Calamine lotion and children's benadryl is advised to help with the discomfort. I am also going to include a link below that explains about the different viral and bacterial infection that are the most common. Chicken pox is highly contagious but it may be related to even meningitits but she does not have some of those symptoms and leads me more toward this. If you have any further questions please let me know.

Various Children's Viral and Bacterial Virses

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
would it be normal for the chicken pox not to be ichy but sore? does the ichiness come later?
Expert:  Cheryl K. replied 6 years ago.
The itchiness comes when they actually start to dry up and heal. Did you see the description and does it sound like what you are seeing? If so this sounds like what this is so you might want to also let the mother of the other children know too and make sure once they do start to heal that you help to keep the Calamine lotion on and Benadryl regular as that is almost the worst part of it, I am sure that if you had this as well you remember how bad the itching was.
Cheryl K., Health Enthusiast
Experience: Gen. Medicine/OB/GYN Infectious Disease /STD/Sexual Health/ Orthopaedics/ Pediatrics/Internal