Doctor_Shiv(M.D), MD
Experience:  Experienced Physician Specialising in Medicine,Gynae,ER

I sometimes have a pinching pain near my heart associated ...

I sometimes have a pinching pain near my heart associated with shortness of breath and it seems to be happening more often lately. It just does not feel normal. My chest feels tight. Sometimes my joints hurt (i.e., my hands feel stiff). I am only 25 years old. I excersize, eat healthy and take supplements (fish oil, flaxseed, multi, vitamin C and folic acid). I am on birth control (yasmin) and I have been on birth control for 8 years. Should I be very concerned by these symptoms I am having? I got a physical a few months ago and everything came back normal. Can you give me some insight as to what the issue may be? Thanks!

Category: Health
Expert:  Doctor_Shiv(M.D) replied 9 years ago.

Have you undergone EkG?

Any family history of cardiac disease?

Do you have numbness in arms?

Are you suffering from anxiety?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Doctor_Shiv(M.D)'s Post: I have never had an EKG.

I am not aware of any cardiac disease in my family. I have long gevity in my family except for both sides having cancer. Both my grandmothers died of cancer. One in her 50's and one in her 70's. My Dad had colon cancer in his early 60's.

I am not sure if it is necessarily numbness in the arms, but as I mentioned I have had tightness in my hands (mainly my right. Almost as though it is not getting enough circulation.

I have been under a lot of stress the last few weeks. I may have mild anxiety.

Chest pain along with dyspnoea, has to be checked for cardiac disease. Though physically , all lab work are normal , but cardiac checkup is also very neceesary.These symptoms can also be due anxiety.

Other reason may be Costochondritis.It is an inflammation of the cartilage that joins the ribs to the chest bone. It is this inflammation that causes the sharp chest pains inside the chest wall

IF EKG is normal , then you need not to worry much.Take painkiller Tyelnol .

Hope it helps.