Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720
Health

My Derm told me to mix Hibiclens and shampoo for my scalp.

My Derm told me to... Show More
My Derm told me to mix Hibiclens and shampoo for my scalp (need a replacement for Capitrol which is not being made anymore). I have both in hand but not sure how much of each to mix together. I called a Compound Pharm but they won't give me any info without an RX. Can someone help me?
Hibiclens is used routinely in hospitals for cleaning skin and even open wounds at 100% strength or mixed with water.

I don't know that there is a specific ratio that you need to use, but I would probably start with 1 part Hibiclens, to 2 parts shampooo. IF that works, fine, otherwise, I would increase to 1 part each.
Customer reply replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Family Physician's Post: Is it this mixtue normal and safe to use? I don't want to damage my scalp.
As I said, Hibiclens is used frequently in the hosptial.

In fact, if you come into my emergency room, and I need to clean a scalp laceration, I will be using Hibiclens on your scalp.

As for it being a "normal" mixture - I don't know how to answer that. It is not a FDA approved treatment, but is well within acceptable medical practices in my opinion.

If you are concerned, then you could always ask your doctor for a prescription product to use.