Nurse Annie
Nurse Annie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  PHD RN 40+ years in nursing all depts & units 20+ years as a midwife, certified lactation consultant
467755

what does it mean when your period doesnt really stop ...

what does it mean when your period doesn't really stop throughout the month. I am 19 years old and I have my normal period, but I have an on going blood spots and a few gushes of blood the whole month. it is scaring me. what does it mean??
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Annie replied 9 years ago.
Customer

Any bleeding that lasts for 10 or more days needs to be evaluated by a doctor to determine the cause. If you are changing one or more pads or tampons in an hour or less, you need to see your doctor immediately as this can lead to anemia. Period abnormalities can be due to many things including stress, weight gain/loss, thyroid, hormonal imbalance, infection, illness, medications, polyp, cyst, amongst other reasons. The only way to know for sure exactly what is going on is to see your doctor for an exam and testing. If your doctor suspects a hormonal or thyroid imbalance, a simple blood test will show this.