A. Pappa
A. Pappa, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Family Medicine physician with 12 years of experience in clinical medicine and medical education
4355765

My four year old is pooping a little blood, I took him to a ...

My four year old is pooping a little blood, I took him to a doctor and he didn't think it was no big deal, I am still worried.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Pappa replied 10 years ago.

Hello, can you give me some more information?

Is your son having diarrhea? What is the consistency and color of his stools. Does he have pain when he has a bowel movement? How much blood is there?

FamMedDoc

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to A. Pappa's Post: No, diarrhea, he has pooped 3 times today, soft but not runny, no pain, he acts like he is fine,
not much blood just a little bit, he hurt his knee playing I gave him some IB motrin, for the first time for pain, could that cause some problems.We have two cats I keep wormed every 6 weeks, can you get something like a parasite that would do that to him.
Expert:  A. Pappa replied 10 years ago.

If he is not having diarrhea and having no pain with his bowel movements, he may have some irritation of his colon. This can be a virus of some type. The ibuprofen usually irritates the stomach and can cause bleeding in rare circumstances, but usually with excess use. Blood from the stomach once passed in the stool becomes dark black looking and not red.

If the cats are healthy and regularly dewormed, I am less concerned about this.

He could have an anal fissure (crack in the lining of the anus -- usually from stool irritation) and this may cause a small amount of bleeding.

Keep an eye on him. If the bleeding does not resolve in a couple of days, I recommend having him evaluated again (and certainly if he develops any other symptoms).

I hope you find this information helpful. Please indicate so by clicking "Accept" and providing feedback.

FamMedDoc