Ben Mel RN
Ben Mel RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN with over 30 years in emergency healthcare expertise

is excessive burping with fullness in the throat along with ...

Customer Question

is excessive burping with fullness in the throat along with stomach growling alot a good chance of being acid reflux
Category: Health
Expert:  Ben Mel RN replied 7 years ago.

It is possible to have acid reflucx with these symptoms. You would also have some heartburn associated with this. I am more inclined to think you are producing excess abdominal gas.

Excessive production of gas by bacteria is a common cause of intermittent abdominal bloating/distention. Bacteria can produce too much gas in three ways. First, the amount of gas that bacteria produce varies from individual to individual. In other words, some individuals may have bacteria that produce more gas, either because there are more of the bacteria or because their particular bacteria are better at producing gas. Second, there may be poor digestion and absorption of foods in the small intestine, allowing more undigested food to reach the bacteria in the colon. The more undigested food the bacteria have, the more gas they produce. Examples of diseases of that involve poor digestion and absorption include lactose intolerance, pancreatic insufficiency, and celiac disease. Third, bacterial overgrowth can occur in the small intestine. Under normal conditions, the bacteria that produce gas are limited to the colon. In some medical conditions, these bacteria spread into the small intestine. When this bacterial spread occurs, food reaches the bacteria before it can be fully digested and absorbed by the small intestine. Therefore, the bacteria in the small intestine have a lot of undigested food from which to form gas. This condition in which the gas-producing bacteria move into the small intestine is called bacterial overgrowth of the small intestine (bowel).

Excessive production of gas by bacteria is usually accompanied by more flatulence. Increased flatulence may not always occur, however, since gas potentially can be eliminated in other ways-absorption into the body, utilization by other bacteria, or possibly, by elimination at night without the knowledge of the gas-passer.

Expert:  Family Physician replied 7 years ago.
Your symptoms are rather classic for gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). One common manifestation of GERD is aerophagia - excessive swallowing of air.

Here is an excellent article of some of the manifestation of GERD including the fullness in the throat that you describe.
http://www.aafp.org/afp/990901ap/873.html
I would STRONGLY suggest that you see a gastroenterologist about your symptoms. You should also make arrangements to have your throat examined by an ENT physician to exclude any serious complications such as ulcers on the vocal cords.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i took the prilosec plus a peppermint supplement and yesterday the lump in the throat went away and i could eat just fine but the growling stomach and burping was still very present.
I think the progress you made is good, but to eliminate any possibility that there is a more serious underlying problem, talk to your doctor about getting a GI workup. Excessive gas production, while bothersome, is tolerable. If you have any type of reflux disease, you could get into a lot of trouble. Have your doctor refer you to a gastroenterologist for a consultation of your problem. You will have all bases covered and not risk serious complications.