Melissa
Melissa, B.S. Biology/Psychology
Experience:  B.S. Biology/Psychology - University of Georgia
3680697

i have several wart like bumps on my back, they seem ...

Customer Question

i have several wart like bumps on my back, they seem to appear overnight. What could they be and what is the treatment
Category: Health
Expert:  Melissa replied 9 years ago.
Can you describe them in more detail? What color are they, how many are there, and how are they arranged (are they in a cluster, or just all over)? Do they itch, drain, or hurt? How long have they been there, and have you ever had any of these before?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Dear XXXXX:
Thank you for answering my inquire. their is 4 pink circlar spot about 1/8 inch apiece. they do not itch,drain or hurt. they appeared about two weeks ago. I has them on my stomach but they disappeared. One of the spot appears to be drying, it have a scaley crust. I do have excerma but i never has this before
Chris
Expert:  Melissa replied 9 years ago.

These may or may not be warts. Although they can form anywhere on the body and be of various colors, they usually don't form on the back and stomach, and usually have rough surfaces. If it is a typical wart, many do commonly go away on their own, but some require treatment. Because it's a viral infection, they may come back, because the virus stays in the body for life.

There are many types of benign skin growth that would match that description, and unless they are itching or bleeding, or otherwise bothering you, treatment isn't necesseary until you want it done for cosmetic reasons. These include (pulled from http://www.umm.edu/dermatology-info/other.htm):

• seborrheic keratoses - Flesh-colored, brown, or black wart-like spots. More common in middle-aged and older people, seborrheic keratoses may be round or oval and look like they are "stuck" on the skin.
  • lipomas - Round or oval lumps under the skin caused by fatty deposits. Lipomas are more common in women and tend to appear on the forearms, torso, and back of the neck.
  • dermatofibromas - Small, firm, red or brown bumps caused by an accumulation of fibroblasts (soft tissue cells under the skin). They often occur on the legs and may itch.

You can read about other, less likely, types of growths here: http://www.umm.edu/dermatology-info/other.htm.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Melissa's Post: I'm not medical but the ansner you supplied do not fit ny condition
chris
Expert:  Melissa replied 9 years ago.

Aside from non viral skin growths, another possibility is molluscum contagiosum. This is a viral infection that occurs on the skin. They also sometimes disappear on their own. They consist of pink bumps, or papules on the skin, and generally do not cause any problems. You can read more about them here: http://www.skin-disorders-guide.com/molluscum-contagiosum.htm

Can you go into more detail about why you don't think any of the above growths don't fit the description?