Justin Mandel
Justin Mandel, Acupuncture Specialist Dipl.OM.L.Ac
Experience:  Trained in Western Medicine, Board Certifed Oriental Medicine, seeing patients for 10+years
3403631

what causes pain in my heel when i walk

the bottom of my foot hurts when i walk (in the heel area)

How long has this been happening for?

Is it a sharp pain or more of a dull pain?

Does it feel like you're stepping on something each time you take a step?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Justin Mandel's Post: It happens after I have been walking on concrete for a while. I was playing softball yesterday for the first time this year and this morning I couldn't hardly walk on it. It is not a sharp pain. The more I walked on it this morning the better it got but it still hurts. The pain is in my heel no matter what part of my foot I put pressure on.

Do you have any of the following?
  • Heel pain that tends to be worse with the first few steps after awakening, when climbing stairs or when standing on tiptoe
  • Heel pain after long periods of standing or after getting up from a seated position
  • Heel pain after, but not usually during, exercise
  • Mild swelling in your heel
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Justin Mandel's Post: It hurts when i first get out of beb, but gets better the more i walk. Long periods of standing and after setting for a long period it hurts. It does hurt after standing for a while, or walking, running for a while. There has not been any swelling that i have noticed.

OK, based on your responses and your complaint, my assessment is that you have something called plantar fasciitis.

Plantar fasciitis is essentially heal pain, which many times is caused by calcification of the bone on your foot. When pressure is put on that area of the heel where the bone has been built up with deposits of calcium, pain will result. You can read more about it here:

http://mayoclinic.com/health/plantar-fasciitis/DS00508

You have some options as far as treatment, but I would start by seeing a podiatrist.

Since the pain is getting worse I would suggest that you call for an appointment as soon as possible.

Another option that you have is acupuncture in which I typically help people to get rid of 100% of their heel pain in 2 to 3 treatments. Usually by the end of the first treatment, people usually experience a minimum of 50% pain relief!

Please click "Accept" if you found this to be helpful and informative!

P.S. Best of luck, if you'd like to try acupuncture you can find a local practitioner by going to www/AcuFinder.com