Melissa, B.S. Biology/Psychology
Experience:  B.S. Biology/Psychology - University of Georgia

how long does it take for hydrocodone to not show

Customer Question

how long does it take for hydrocodone to not show up in a urine test. also how long does it take after smoking cocaine
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 9 years ago.

The length of time it takes for any drug to clear the system depends on your metabolism, age, sex, weight, and how much and how frequently you use. The higher the amount and frequency, the longer it takes. The average for hydrocodone is up to 3 days. The average for cocaine is 2-3 days.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Iam 44 and have been taking hydrocodone sicne 2000 and last mothers day i ran out of pain meds and was having bad withdraws so i did somthing stupid and went to a part of town were thy sell crack cocane bought $5.oo bucks worth and got got by the cops. i now on probation and have to take a urine test once a mouth it is now tuesday April 17, 2007 and i go to take a urine test on the April 24 and thy test for opients my doctor took me off off hydrocodone and put me on tramadol. put it does not help me with the much pain that i have i have had 4 back sugerys and 4 fusions. but i have been able to get the hydrocodone from a friend and still take it when i can it hilps me the most with my pain. but from time to when i dont have the hydrocodone i have smoked cocaine i last smoked some on April 16, 2007 and last took a hydrocodone on the 15 of April. will i be able to pass a urine test at 3:00pm on the 24 of April. And what can i do to help me get this out off my system please help.
Expert:  Melissa replied 9 years ago.

If you don't take anymore hydro or coke from now until your test, you'll pass. Even if you've taken hydrocodone for years, the longest it would stay in your system is about 5 days. By the time you take your urine screening, you will have been off for 9 days. If you start to have withdrawal from this, tramadol might help. Immodium is also said to ease opiate withdrawal since it's an opiate analog itself (and this wouldn't show up on a drug test). It's available over-the-counter, but you wouldn't get any typical narcotic effects from immodium (except for constipation), because this particular drug doesn't cross the blood brain barrier.

Have you tried a TENS unit for the pain? If not, it's something to at least consider.

If you've found this helpful, please accept schuyler's answer above and not mine. She appears to be offline right now, so I wanted to go ahead and answer you so you wouldn't end up waiting for a reply.

Good luck!

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I have a stimulater implant in my back it helps with about 45 to 50% of the pain put runig it for moor than two hours at a time it begians to hurt and it makes it hard to walk. and i have turn it off for two hours. So the longest is 5 days on hydro what is the longest for smoked cocaine to stay in your sestem. last Question thank you.
Expert:  Melissa replied 9 years ago.

For cocaine, it depends on the cutoff level of the test. Some tests have cutoff levels at 300 ng/ml, and some are at 150 ng/ml. The sources vary on how long it can be detected. says it stays in your body for 2-3 days, other sources say the generally accepted time period is 3-5 days. In heavy users though, it has been detected as long as 10-14 days, and there are even reports of it being detected 22 days later in a chronic user who used ungodly amounts at a time.

As long as you didn't use exorbitant amounts of cocaine, and don't use it again until your test, you'll most likely test clean. You can check out this website for detection information:

and is a good site for anything you'd ever want to know about drug use.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Melissa's Post: will the Tramadol and hydro show up on a probation urine test thank you.yes very good and helpful i wiil accept.
Expert:  Melissa replied 9 years ago.

It's hard to say. Hydrocodone is a synthetic opiate, and is not one of the drugs tested for in a standard drug test. Some places use extended drug tests that do include hydro, but I can't really say which one your probation programs uses. I don't think tramadol would be tested for at all, and if you have a valid prescription for it, they couldn't use a positive result against you anyway.

Also, if you have any fairly recent hydroconde presciption bottles (even if they're all gone), you can claim that you took part of a previous prescription if you did test positive for hydro and had a previous prescription. If you don't have your bottles anymore, you can request confirmation from the pharmacy you got it filled out that it was prescribed for you at some point. This should be sufficient if you were prescribed hydro any time within the last year or so.

Melissa, B.S. Biology/Psychology
Experience: B.S. Biology/Psychology - University of Georgia