Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

My blood pressure was 196/100, and my Doctor sent me home ...

Customer Question

My blood pressure was 196/100, and my Doctor sent me home with
no medicine. Should I be concerned. I'm dizzy and my vision is slightly blurred. I also had a terrible nose beed and headache Sunday night which caused me to get checked yesterday.
Category: Health
Expert:  Family Physician replied 9 years ago.
Generally, this level of blood pressure should be treated. At the very least, I would have suggested lifestyle changes (no smoking, avoid salt in foods, lose weight) and make arrangements for frequent monitoring of blood pressure.

With this blood pressure - I would suggest recontacting the doctor to see about some treatment.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
The Doctor suggested I come back in a week to check it again. Is there any danger to me to wait this long. I would have thought for my sake just put me on some medicine right? My average blood pressure is 145/90.
It really is a matter of opinion. I often find that a person will have a much higher reading on one day (fighting with their boss, the traffic was bad, they were in a rush, the roads were icy etc)

If I put everyone on blood pressure medications for a single reading, I would have many more people on blood pressure medications, many of whom would not need it.