Deborah, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Registered NP - Multispeciality

A woman had her left ovary and right uterine tube removed ...

A woman had her left ovary and right uterine tube removed at age 17 because of a cyst and a tumor in these organs. Now, at age 32, she is healthy and is expecting her second child. How is it possibe to conceive a child with one ovary and one uterine tube on opposite sides of the pelvis?
Category: Health
Expert:  Deborah replied 9 years ago.

Pregnancy is possible with only one fallopian tube as long as one or both ovaries are present and the patient still ovulates

Typically, a single egg is released each month by one the ovaries. The egg travels down a fallopian tube, where a sperm may fertilize it. The fertilized egg then continues on to the uterus. You need only one fallopian tube for this to happen.The egg released from the ovary usually enters the fallopian tube adjacent to that ovary. Although evidence suggests that an egg released from one ovary can be transported by the fallopian tube on the opposite side, this is rare. Ovulation tends to alternate ovaries, so it's likely that with only one tube, eggs from the opposite ovary never have a chance to be fertilized.

Also, fertility may be reduced if a fallopian tube was removed due to cysts or infection. In such cases, the remaining tube may not be normal. If you have only one ovary and it's on the opposite side of your only fallopian tube, you're at increased risk of tubal pregnancy

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Hi Deborah! This is a really good answer and I plan to accept. I would like to ask if this is extrememly rare and if the only other was for this woman to have children would be thru artificial insemination? Our book is fairly technical but very hard to use to look things up. I know the instructor is looking for a pretty technical answer. Thanks, Jenn
Expert:  Deborah replied 9 years ago.

Yes, this is very rare as in most cases the pregnancy is ectopic.

The more likely scenario is that this pregnancy was indeed achieved via IVF.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Dear XXXXX, the only thing I have left to ask is how I would get YOUR help specifically again? You are wonderful and seem very pleasant. I go to a Nurse Practitioner myself and really like her. Many people I have talked to like them better than Drs. Thanks again, Jenn
Expert:  Deborah replied 9 years ago.

I am gakd you found my answer helpful and am appreciative of your intent to contact me in the future to assist you with questions you may have.

When you begin to post your question, there is an option that will allow you to request me.

If you can not find it, may clients simply state in their question a remark such as "This Question is For Deborah"