Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Twenty years experience in active private practice

After a MRI I was told my Pituitary gland is swollen. The ...

After a MRI I was told my Pituitary gland is swollen. The test was administered because of a severe headache on the top of my head.
What could cause this swelling and what can be done?

The commonest cause of an enlarged pituitary gland is a pituitary tumor. Most pituitary tumors are benign, that is, non-cancerous. Pituitary tumors cause headache by pressing on the nearby optic nerves, which are nerves that carry signals from the eyes. Pressure by the enlarged gland on the surrounding bone may also cause headache.

Other symptoms of an enlarged pituitary gland are caused by secretion of a hormone called prolactin.

The main aim of treatment is to reduce the size of the tumor as well as reduce the level of prolactin. The first line of treatment is with medicines like bromocriptine (available a proctinal ). This medicine works quite well to both reduce the size of the tumor as well as the level of prolactin.

If medicine fails to work, surgery to remove the tumor may the next option. this is usually done if the tumor is quite large.

Sometimes, radiation therapy is also carried out.

Treatment of Pituitary tumors are quite successful and most tumors are completely cured.

To know more, please see:

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. A positive rating and adding a bonus will be warmly appreciated.