Mark Bornfeld
Mark Bornfeld, Dentist (DDS)
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA

sensitive teeth after veneers

Several days after having veneers and two crowns on upper front, my teeth (top front & bottom front) have become very very sensitive to everything. I has now been 3 months since this has happened. Have been usining sensydine toothpast. Also floride gel once a day. Doesn't help
Category: Health
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld replied 7 years ago.
DearCustomer

Could you elaborate a bit more? When you say "sensitive to everything", specifically what do you mean-- sensitive to cold stimuli? heat? biting pressure? sweet or sour foods? Has the sensitivity improved at all, or is it the same or worse since the procedures were done? Is there a particular activity that seems to bring on the symptoms? Are the symptoms more evident at a particular time of day?

Any additional information will be helpful in arriving at a reliable answer.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Mark Bornfeld's Post: I had 4 veneers and two crowns on top front only. This was done for cosmetics only (the crowns were old and not shaped well). I didn't have anything done to the bottom. For two days after the work, my teeth felt fine. Now the fronts of the top and bottom front are both extremely sensitive. Everything hurts like nerve exposure (air,cold,cool,warm,hot, biting doesn't feel too great, even with my mouth closed doing nothing it tingles with pain, doesn't matter what time of day.) I sleep with a night mouth piece and that feels good on my teeth. When I wake up in the middle of the night, wearing the mouthpiece, my teeth do not hurt. That's about the only time they don't hurt. I've been back to the dentist and he says everything (teeth,gums,veneers) all look fine. I've been brushing with Sensodyne daily and brushing on a floride gel(1 week) at night. It has been 3months and nothing is helping.
Expert:  replied 7 years ago.
DearCustomer

The fact that the pain started immediately after placement of the new crowns and veneers suggests that they are to blame (although it's not possible to entirely rule out some unrelated cause for your symptoms). Since no treatment was rendered to the lower teeth, the fact that you feel pain there suggests either...

1. the lower front teeth only seem to be painful, but the pain is referred from the upper teeth (although this may not seem plausible, the phenomenon of pain referral is quite real, especially in the mouth)
2. the pain is caused by an over-contouring of the contacting surfaces of the veneers and/or crowns. This can subject both the upper and lower teeth to excessive chewing forces, which can be injurious to the tissues supporting the teeth and the pulps.

If your dentist did not verify that your night guard appliance fits the newly-restored teeth properly, this may also contribute to forces that could irritate the teeth while wearing the night guard.

Sensitivity of the type you describe is a non-specific symptom, and could indicate several different things. In addition to injury from "occlusal trauma" (excessive chewing forces), your dentist may have prepared the teeth too deeply, causing irritation of the nerve of one or more of the teeth. Further complicating matters is the fact that the resin cement used to attach veneers and crowns can be irritating to the nerves in the teeth as well.

One thing is sure-- pain of the magnitude and duration such as you describe is not something that should be lived with, since it suggests some type of degenerative process that needs attention. If your dentist cannot discern the cause of the problem, I recommend that you request a referral to an endodontist (root canal specialist). This type of clinician is usually quite adept at ferreting out the subtleties of diagnosis that may evade other dentists. Also, examination by a dentist who did not himself provide the crowns and veneers may permit a more critical assessment of the quality of the services you received. Don't forget to bring your night guard with you when you go to the dentist so that the quality of the fit can be examined and corrected if necessary.

Good luck!
Mark Bornfeld, Dentist (DDS)
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA