A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

sperm life in a condom

Customer Question

how long does sperm stay alive in a condom? and can a girl take the sperm from a open condom and get her self pregnant about 20 minutes later
Category: Health
Expert:  MasterDoc replied 9 years ago.
In a condom the survival time for some of the sperm is probably measured in hours. So YES, it is definitely possible to get pregnant by using the sperm from a condom used 20 minutes before.
Please click ACCEPT. Feel free to ask a specific follow-up question.
And a BONUS is always appreciated.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

are latex condoms toxic to sperm

Expert:  Family Physician replied 6 years ago.
Latex condoms that do NOT contain spermacide are relatively toxic to sperm (as compared to a glass container), however it only takes a single sperm.

You should also know that even when used properly, condoms are not 100% effective.

You would need to have paternity testing to know for sure.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

if a latex condom is used for oral sex and the man cums in it and it is wraped in tisue and thrown in the bin and then taken out of the bin and put into the vagina can you get pregnant also has there ever been a person who has got pregnant this way

The simple answer is YES, sperm survival under the circumstances you describe is POSSIBLE.

It is also very possible that the girl is blaming the pregnancy on you despite this never actually happening. The only way to know would be to have a paternity test after the child was born. This will give a definitive YES or NO answer. Until then it is a matter of "maybe" or "maybe not".

Edited by Family Physician on 7/18/2010 at 9:27 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
you have not answered my question is there any evidence that this has happened as i have searched the net but i have found nothing
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i am still waiting for a answer
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 6 years ago.

You ares till waiting for an answer because you opted out Family Physician. If you want an answer your should opt him back in.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i have not opted out

As you can see from the line just above this, you DID opt out Family Physician so he cannot answer you.

Customer has Opted Out: FamilyPhysician
Your Request has 0 hours and 13 minutes left

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My question is that my friend says she got pregnant by using the sperm from a condom. Is this true her boyfriend been my bother doesn't want to have kids so she told me that they had sex in the night and my brother used a condom,after using the condom my brother wrapped it in tissue and put it the bin 20 min later , she got the sperm from the condom and put it in her vigina. Can this be true? . Really I guess my question is how long can the sperm live in the condom and can any one get pregnant this way?

Sperm can live in a condom for hours. Your brother should insist on a paternity test to see if the child is his or not. Some unprincipled women have used this method to become pregnant to try to force a man to marry them. If they would stoop to this j\kind of trick, you cannot believe anything else she says.

Some people have also used this method consensually as do-it-yourself artificial insemination. The man will masturbate wearing a condom and the sperm will be put into the woman's vagina using a turkey baster. If the timing is right (i.e. she is ovulating) it can work either for homemade artificial insemination or for the dirty trick the girlfriend says she played.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
this was a latex condom latex condoms are not used for collecting sperm as they are toxic to sperm so how then can sperm live for hours in normal room temp

Wherever did you get the notion that latex is toxic to anything? It isn't true. Spermicidal condoms are toxic to sperm, but not the plain latex ones.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

from a sperm bank who give you a special condom for collecting sperm as latex condoms are toxic to sperm please check this for ureself as all the sperm banks have said the same

Sperm banks I'm familiar with don't use condoms at all. One ejaculates into a collection cup. I can't imagine any reason for a sperm back to use a condom since it makes extraction of the sperm more difficult and wasteful. Regardless, latex is not toxic to anything.

In any event, the scenario you're describing has nothing to do with a sperm bank. The kind of dirty trick she claims to have played is done all the time, and it works. Make no mistake about that. It is possible, although the success rate is not as high as normal intercourse with ejaculation inside the vagina.

Edited by Schuyler_ANP on 7/19/2010 at 1:59 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hang on why do sperm banks say latex is toxic to sperm then why do they say do not use them and you can take sperm in a condom to the sperm bank it has to be kept at body temp and they give you a non latex condom

I have no idea why the sperm bank you are talking about does what it does. No one can "take" sperm to a sperm bank. The donating takes place on site. As I noted, I am familiar with sperm banks in only two states and I've never seen or heard of one using a condom of any description. The bottom line is that the girl is not a sperm bank. And then there's that other fact that latex isn't toxic.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Almost all commercially available condoms are made of latex. Latex condoms have been shown to be toxic to sperm and never should be used for sperm sample collection. In contrast, two types of condoms are approved for sperm collection. These include polyurethane condoms manufactured by Apex Medical Technologies (San Diego, CA), called the "Male Factor Pak".

I will opt out since you are unwilling to accept answers from healthcare providers who have seen pregnancies occur by the method you describe. I can waste no more time trying to convince you of the facts.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no i think i have proved to you that latex condoms are toxic to sperm and that you have learned something from me

You haven't proved one darn thing to me other than you are unwilling to accept facts from three separate practitioners over a period since 2007 who have SEEN babies produced from sperm ejaculated into a latex condom. It is a possibility and happens hundreds of times each year.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i have proved to you that latex is toxic to sperm you did not no that
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how long is it going to take for someone to answer my question
Customer: replied 6 years ago.