Ben Mel RN
Ben Mel RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN with over 30 years in emergency healthcare expertise

Why do I always feel really sick after I drink Coffee.

Customer Question

I always feel really sick after I drink Coffee. It usually feels like someone is sitting on my stomach, and I get rather nausious. I only feel like that when I drink caffine, whether it's in coffee or in energy drinks. I'm curious as to why it may be happening.
Category: Health
Expert:  Ben Mel RN replied 9 years ago.
Caffeine is a powerful chemical that most of us give little credit to. Drinking caffinated products increases the production of acid in our stomachs. This hyperacidity can make you feel sick and even cause some pain when it happens. Try to avoid drinking products with caffeine or you may consider taking an acid inhibitor like Pepcid, or Zantac on a daily basis. That may help you get the relief if you really need to keep drinking coffee.