Obgynadvice
Obgynadvice, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  ob-gyn, fully board certified and licensed. 12 years experience
4065527

I AM 44 YEARS OLD. I HAVE NEVER MISSED A PERIOD IN MY ...

Customer Question

I AM 44 YEARS OLD. I HAVE NEVER MISSED A PERIOD IN MY LIFE!
IN JANUARY I HAD A VERY DIFFERENT PERIOD THAT WENT 9 DAYS.
4 SPOTTING AND 5 REGULAR BUT NO MENSTRUAL CRAMPS THIS IS A FIRST. NO PERIOD SINCE!! 1-29-07 TILL 2-6-07 WAS MY LAST PERIOD.
NOW THE UPPER PART OF MY STOMACH IS VERY VERY SWOLLEN. I DO NOT HAVE
SORE BREST OR ANY SICKNESS NO SIGNS
OF BEING PREGNANT. MY STOMACH IS
SO SWOLLEN ITS UNCOMFORTABLE AND IT HAS GOTTEN BIGGER JUST THIS WEEK. I HAVE TAKEN 3 INEXPENSIVE PREGNANCY TEST AND ALL SAYS NEGATIVE. I HAVE ACID REFLUX AND WAS DIAGNOSED WITH AN ULCER 12-06 BUT THE MEDICINE IM TAKEN SEEMS TO BE TAKING CARE OF THAT?? ANY IDEAS AS TO WHAT COULD BE WRONG. I KNOW GO TO MY DOCTOR BUT THEY WILL WANT TO RUN TEST AND VERY EXPENSIVE. THANK YOU!!
Category: Health
Expert:  Obgynadvice replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome,

Skipping periods once in a while is not uncommon, especially in the perimenopause - the many years before a woman actually goes into menopause.

Since it has been 2 months since the beginning of your period and you have had negative pregnancy tests, this is what I would recommend; by the third month, if the period still has not come, is to go for a blood test called FSH that will show if the absence of the periods is due to the ovaries not producing hormones and eggs - that is perimenopause; or it will show that your hormones are normal but there is something else interfering with your cycles.

Some causes are medications, high blood levels of prolactin, thyroid hormone (both hi and low interfere with regular cycles), stress, significant weight loss and the like

But the simplest thing to check first is the FSH (blood test)

Hope this will get you started...

Feel free to ask any more questions...

Obgynadvice, Doctor (MD)
Experience: ob-gyn, fully board certified and licensed. 12 years experience
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
why would my stomach be so swollen it my biggest
concern. The only medicine im taking is Protonix
no high blood pressure,nothing all of a sudden my
stomach swelled up like this. I understand can start
having promblems with my cycle at this age. but concerned about this swelling.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
stomach swelled up like this. I understand I can start having promblems with my cycle at this age. but concerned about this swelling. Thank you

If you have bloating or increase in your abdominal girth where your pants or skirts do not fit and if you are worried about say something going on with your ovaries, the test to do would be a pelvic ultrasound, where they actually take pictures, measure the ovaries and the uterus.

With the pain being in the upper abdomen, it is not typical for gyn origin, so from what you described, I am not suggesting that you have the symptoms of ovarian or uterine disorder

Let me know...

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
IM NOT HAVING ANY PAIN AT ALL IM JUST SWOLLEN!!
I NEVER WEAR ANYTHING TIGHT QUIT THAT YEARS AGO.
I WEAR HAYNES ELASTIC PANTS TO WORK ALMOST EVERY
DAY. MY STOMACH HAS NEVER SWELLED LIKE THIS BEFORE.
IM JUST ASSUMING ITS FEMALE RELATED BECAUSE I HAVE NOT STARTED?? BUT I DO HAVE STOMACH ISSUES. THATS WHY IM NOT SURE WHAT DOCTOR TO GO SEE??

Yes I understand.

You will probably end up seeing both the gynecologist and the internist; I would recommend seen the gynecologist first, who, hopefully will order an ultrasound for you to check the ovaries, and if that is normal and your hormone levels are where they should be, then you could go to the internist.

If you do it vice versa, it is almost certain your internist will advise you to see the gynecologist first then go back to him or her after confirming this is not a gyn problem.

Much luck to you, let me know if I can answer any questions to the best I can, thanks