Justin Mandel
Justin Mandel, Acupuncture Specialist Dipl.OM.L.Ac
Experience:  Trained in Western Medicine, Board Certifed Oriental Medicine, seeing patients for 10+years
3403631

can the smell of mildew make you sick

if you sit in a small room 5 days a week 8 hrs a day that has leaked in rainy weather and smells of mildew would it make you sick to your stomach sometimes
Category: Health
Expert:  Justin Mandel replied 7 years ago.

Do you have any of the following symptoms:

• Sneezing
  • Runny or stuffy nose
  • Cough and postnasal drip
  • Itchy eyes, nose and throat
  • Watery eyes
  • Skin rash
  • Sinusitis, an inflammation of the sinuses
Do you have asthma?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no i don't really have any of them

OK, people usually experience sneezing, runny or stuffy nose, cough and postnasal drip,itchy eyes, nose and throat, watery eyes, skin rash, sinusitis, an inflammation of the sinuses when they are exposed to mold and mildew.

Since you are inhaling the mold and mildew in the air, symptoms would normally be related to your lungs. In terms of getting sick to your stomach, if the smell was strong enough than it is possible that this might cause an unsettling in the stomach and you might feel nauseous in turn.

As far as prevention, the following are tips from the Mayo Clinic:

The most important thing you can do to prevent mold allergy is to reduce mold growth in your home. Consider these tips:
  • Eliminate sources of dampness in basements, such as pipe leaks or groundwater seepage.
  • Use a dehumidifier in any area of your home that smells musty or damp. Remember to clean the collection bucket and condensation coils regularly.
  • Use an air conditioner, and consider installing central air conditioning with a high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter attachment. The HEPA filter can trap mold spores from outdoor air before they're circulated inside your home.
  • Keep humidity levels well below 50 percent.
  • Change furnace and air conditioning filters regularly.
  • Be sure all bathrooms are properly ventilated, and run the ventilation fan for 30 minutes following a shower or bath to dry the air.
  • Clean bathroom and basement wall surfaces regularly with a bleach solution.
  • Promote ground water drainage away from your house by removing leaves and vegetation from around the foundation and cleaning out rain gutters frequently.
  • Keep organic plant containers, such as those made of straw, wicker or hemp, clean and dry.
You can read more about mold and mildew allergy here:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mold-allergy/DS00773/DSECTION=1

Please click "Accept" if you found this to be informative and helpful!

P.S. Best of luck!!

Experience: Trained in Western Medicine, Board Certifed Oriental Medicine, seeing patients for 10+years