Deborah
Deborah, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Registered NP - Multispeciality
761613

I have what feels like a skin flap stuck in my thoat.

Customer Question

I have what feels like a skin flap stuck in my thoat. It's doesn't bother me to eat or drink but now it's starting to feel like a sore thoat is starting. I had my tonsils and atnoids out when I was young, what can this be?
Category: Health
Expert:  Deborah replied 7 years ago.

Do you have any cold or flu symptoms? Are you experiencing laryngitis? Yiu have stated you have no problems eating or drinking, but do you experience any difficulty swallowing?

How long have you had these symptoms?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I do not have difficulty swollowing and I have no other symtoms. This statred about 4 days ago.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I do not have laryngitis either.
Expert:  Deborah replied 7 years ago.

Most sore throats are caused by a virus and go away on their own in about a week. Only a small percentage are bacterial infections that may require treatment with antibiotics.

Other common causes of sore throat include:

• Allergies. The same pet dander, molds and pollens that trigger allergic reactions such as red, swollen eyes and a runny nose can also cause a sore throat.
  • Dryness. Dry indoor air, especially in winter when rooms tend to be overheated, can make your throat feel rough and scratchy, particularly in the morning when you first wake up. Breathing through your mouth - often because of chronic nasal congestion - can also cause a dry, sore throat.
  • Pollution and other irritants. Outdoor air pollution can cause ongoing throat irritation. But indoor pollution - especially tobacco smoke - is an even greater cause of chronic sore throat. What's more, inhaling secondhand smoke is often just as damaging as smoking itself. Smokeless tobacco, alcohol and spicy foods can also inflame your throat.
  • Muscle strain. You can strain muscles in your throat just as you can strain them in your arms or legs. If you've ever gotten a sore throat after yelling at a concert or sporting event, you've likely strained your throat muscles.
  • Acid (gastroesophageal) reflux disease (GERD). This occurs when stomach acid backs up into your food pipe (esophagus). Normally, a circular band of muscle (lower esophageal sphincter) blocks acid from coming up into the esophagus. But if the sphincter relaxes abnormally or weakens, stomach acid can back up, irritating your throat as well as your esophagus. Throat irritation caused by GERD doesn't occur with other symptoms of a viral illness, and it tends to be persistent, rather than lasting just a few days. It's also far more common in adults than in children. In many cases, you can prevent or reduce acid reflux with simple lifestyle changes - losing weight, avoiding foods that cause you discomfort and not eating right before bed, for example. When these aren't effective, over-the-counter or prescription medications may offer some relief.
  • HIV infection. HIV-positive people with low CD4 counts sometimes develop a chronic sore throat. This isn't due to HIV itself but to a secondary infection such as oral thrush or cytomegalovirus, a common viral infection that can be extremely serious in immunocompromised people.
  • Tumors. If you smoke or abuse alcohol, you're at high risk of tumors of the throat, tongue and voice box. In some people these tumors cause few, if any, signs and symptoms. In others, they can lead to hoarseness, difficulty swallowing and sore throat.

I would suggest that you go to the pharmacy and purchase some Chloraseptic. You can also gargle at least twice a day with warm salt water. Using Tylenol, aspirn, Advil or Motrin can also ease your symptoms.

If your symptoms do not resolve in the next few days, it would be important to make an appointment with your doctor or an otolaryngologist (ear, nose & throat specialist).

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Deborah's Post: That Did Not Answer My Question!
Expert:  Deborah replied 7 years ago.

What other questions do you have? Please let me know so I can try to help you.

Do you ever suffer from hearburn (acid reflux)? If you look at the back of your throat is it coated with white spots or inflamed?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I Do Get Heartburn Sometimes But I Have Not Had It Recently. I Looked In My Throat And Do Not Find Anything Wrong.
Expert:  Deborah replied 7 years ago.

As you mention you do on occasion experience acid reflux, a consideration of your symptoms could be related due to irritation and inflammation of your esophagus (esophagitis), from stomach acid into your esophagus which can lead to inflammation and a sore throat.

If left untreated for long periods, acid reflux can cause:

• Esophageal narrowing (stricture). Strictures occur in some people with GERD. Damage to cells in the lower esophagus from acid exposure leads to formation of scar tissue. The scar tissue narrows the food pathway, causing large chunks of food to get caught up in the narrowing, and can interfere with swallowing.
  • Esophageal ulcer. Stomach acid can severely erode tissues in the esophagus, causing an open sore to form. The esophageal ulcer may bleed, cause pain and make swallowing difficult.

As you have stated you have not had heartburn in the past, depending on how severe it was this could be something to consider.

My feeling is that you may simply have a viral infection which can cause a sore throat, in view of the fact you no longer have your tonsils or adenoids. A sore throat that lasts longer than a few days should really be evaluated by your doctor.

I have provided you with the most common causes of a sore throat. As you would agree, without me being able to examine your throat, I can not tell you exactly what your diagnosis is.

Lastlly, another consideration is do you suffer from seasonal allergies which cause a post-nasal drip? If so the constant dripping from the sinuses into the back of the throat can also result in an irritation that causes a sore throat.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  Deborah replied 7 years ago.

As you can see above, three medical doctors have agreed with my answer. Dr. Nash, even teaches medicine. I have provided you with a concise explanation of what your symptoms could indicate.

If you provide a detailed account of your questions and concerns in regard to preciselt what type of help you require, it would provide me or one of the other experts direction on how to provide you with the best possible assistance.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist:
I Have Green Type Stuff On My Tongue Now. Can This Be Thrush?