Dr. D. Evans
Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.
1771736

I get a bruise it turns to a rash, hives and itching as it ...

I get a bruise it turns to a rash, hives and itching as it appears to be getting better. This hapeens on arm or leg areas.

Corizone creams even rx types have not helped.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. D. Evans replied 7 years ago.
Since you are online, could you please give some more information:

What is your age and sex?

How long have you had this?

Is it associated with itching?

Does it disappear completely or is there any residual marks?

I am available online to help you further after I get this info.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have had this for the past 3 years. It is occuring more often now. Usually on my inner leg near the upper knee, start as a small bruise or small rash swells and itching and bruises.
Now it is on my arms the spot started when I had IV for extraction of a tooth. Where the arm bruised fron IV as it starting going away turning yellow a rash began, hives, itching and it has been there 2 weeks now the rx cream is not helping.

I am in pre-menpause, have pill controlled diabetes. I take Lexapro, wellbutrin, clodine (HB med for hot flashes), vitorin, allegra (allergy), and sometimes water pill.

All of this starting before I took any of the meds above.

Iam female, 49, itching is bad, residual last for 4 weeks after rash stops itching.

Thanks for help.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I forgot metformin for 14 months now for diabetes and new Byette shots 5m. twice a day.

You need to be checked up for this.

The most likely causes are:

Allergic reaction: Though you say that the lesions occurred before you started the drugs, yet such a long standing condition is likely to be related to one or the other drug. It is also probable that you have developed an allergy to something, you should check out whether you have started any new soap, ointment or detergent within this period. If you do find anything which could be the cause, then try to avoid it. It could also be due to some food that you took very recently. Watch out for foods like shell fish, sea fish, meats, cheese, etc. Also any new types of processed foods.

Hypersensitivity (leukocytoclastic) vasculitis: This is an immune system response giving rise to ashes similar to yours. A blood test will show raised ESR.

Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura: This can also be ruled out with a blood test for the platelet count, which would be low.

Henoch-Schönlein purpura: usually associated with pain abdomen, arthritis, etc.

Schamberg's disease: characterised by progressive, asymptomatic petechiae, usually no itching.

Contact dermatitis: you may have an allergy to some commonly used substance like rubber, nickel in jewelery,etc.

You should contact a dermatologist and get thoroughly checked up. You can discuss these conditions with him/her and ask for them to be ruled out.

I hope this answer was helpful. If you need more information, feel free to ask. For accepting this answer, please click on the green 'accept' button below. Feedback/Bonus will be warmly appreciated.

Dr. D. Evans, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MS in ENT and Head and Neck Surgery , Attachment to Neurosurgery.