Lindie
Lindie, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  17+ years, Healthcare Expert
163146

I have a sharp pain running down the inside of my left arm.

I have a sharp pain running down the inside of my left arm. It continues for about 3-5 minutes before subsiding. It's happened twice the last couple of days. Anything serious?
Category: Health
Expert:  Lindie replied 9 years ago.

Does this occur when you move a certain way?

Any other symptoms?

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
No, it just comes on. I've been either sitting , standing or walking in the house. The pain is very sharp. No other symptoms that I can notice. Took my blood pressure and it seemed normal also. Of course, I'm afraid of a heart attack.
Expert:  Lindie replied 9 years ago.

It may be nerve related and you may just get in the right position for this to occur. Inflammation of a muscle could also compress a nerve just for a moment and give the same symptoms.

However as you also know too, this could also indicate possible heart attack or stroke even.

Click here for symptoms of a heart attack and click here for symptoms of stroke. If you get any of the other symptoms listed on those sites above, then do get to the ER right away (even if just to be checked out)

Otherwise, I would suggest following up with your doctor, so you can be seen in person. You can also try a moist heating pad on the shoulder, just in case this is muscle related, as this can help loosen anything up. If you the pain doesn't subside and stays constant of if you start to have a problem with breathing, do be seen in the ER too.

Hope this helps, If you need anything else please feel free to ask. If you found this helpful don't forget to click the *ACCEPT* button and please take a moment to leave me *POSITIVE* feedback.