Doctor Nash
Doctor Nash, Professor of Medicine (MD)
Experience:  I've been teaching and practicing medicine for more than 40 years.

I have a fluttering movement under my breast and pain ...

Customer Question

I have a fluttering movement under my breast and pain there. Can you tell me what that is?
Category: Health
Expert:  Doctor Nash replied 7 years ago.
Customer

Considering your gender and age, I suspect you are experiencing a common alteration in heart rhythm, which is episodic and relatively easy to treat, despite the scary name paroxysmal supraventricular tachcardia (PSVT).

This will not hurt your heart, but it can cause you to be lightheaded, which can lead to problems if you're climbing stairs or driving a motor vehicle.

Check this link for additional information.

You should have your doctor check this. He will do an EKG, which will be normal unless you are having PSVT at the time, He should then arrange an 24-hour study (called a Holter monitor), recording your heart rhythm while you are up and around as usual.

Let me know if you want to "talk" about this. I teach medicine, so I am not on line regularly. However, I do check this site several times a day. Please be patient. I will answer.

Dr. Nash
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm also 5 months pregnant......
Customer

Your pregnancy makes it all the more important that you do everything that you can to avoid harm to yourself and, now, your baby.

Nothing that might be done to evaluate the possibility of PSVT will interfere with your pregnancy. Both you and Baby will be perfectly safe.

Do you know whether you're having a girl or boy? What names are XXXXX XXXXX?

We have one of each, and they both have given us grandchildren, whom we spoil happly.

Frank Nash
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can it be the baby kicking me in the ribs?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Doctor Nash's Post: I find tomorrow if it is a boy or a girl. For a boy we like the name Angelus and a girl Areana.
Customer

You may have caught me with my pants down.

My last professional (as opposed to family) exposure to OB was as a third-year medical student in 1956.

I don't want to guess. No answer is better than a bad answer, so please ask your OB doc before listening to me and running to a cardiologist. Maybe you can ask tomorrow at your ultrasound appointment.

Please let me know what you find out about Baby. Also, would you mind telling me your last name, so I can put Angelus and Areana into perspective. (The only Areana I know about is Areana Huffington, one admirably bright lady. I don't know anyone by the name of Angelus, but could it be that you're hoping for the perfect boy?)

Frank Nash
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Doctor Nash's Post: IT'S A BOY!!!!
Angelus (Ann Gel lis) Xavier Jacks
I got my perfect boy!!!!!
I'm delighted for you because I hear your excitement.

When you calm down, Mrs. Jacks, let's get back to finding out if he's really bouncing and causing that fluttering feeling.

Frank Nash
Doctor Nash, Professor of Medicine (MD)
Experience: I've been teaching and practicing medicine for more than 40 years.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It's alright!!! I have my next doctor appointment on Monday. I will ask the doctor about the movement then. But thanks for the help!!! It was nice talking to you!!! You can keep in touch if you want!!!! I can give you my email address.

Michelle
Thanks for your kind words, Michelle.

I'm not allowed to contact you off the site, but we can send message through JA. If you look at my profile, you will see a button with the letters "pm." That means "personal message," an internal messaging system like e-mail.

Try that. If you have any problem, come back to this thread, and I'll take care of it.

Frank
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Doctor Nash's Post: My doctor told me it was probably my uterus pushing my intestines up. She doesn't think it would be the baby moving up that far at 20 weeks. I was also having pain in the same area. She said it is probably heartburn.
Hmmmm, Michelle.

You know I'm not competent in OB. The heartburn I know about and can accept.

In your first post, you used the word "fluttering." The intestines do carry on muscular activity in order to move the digesting food stuff along the tract; I just have never hard of that moverment, called peristalsis, causing the sensation of "fluttering".

Can you think of anything that has to do with eating or defecating that is associated with the "fluttering?"

Frank
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Reply to Doctor Nash's Post: It might of not of been fluttering. It was a movement though. It sort of felt like something moving but I guess it could of been my intestines being pushed up. Being pregnant is very weird. I never knew some of the things happened with pregnancy.

Michelle
Gee, Michelle, ain't the human body wonderful?

My first wife, the mother of my children, was 4' 10" (and still is -- we're friends), and I stand at 6' 2". She sure had a full belly.

Parenthood is great. Grandparenthood is greater. Why? At the end of the day, the grandkids go home. But in our case, they sleep over, and that's the best.

Be well.

Frank